Discussion: NV GOP Senator Announces Opposition To Senate Health Care Bill

Ah yes, the reliable “How can you tell when a goper is lying?” gambit - always a safe bet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The calculus to run as a moderate right before an election is only belied by the fact that no sooner as some of these people are re-elected, they revert right back to accommodating or adopting the same hard rightwing extremist views and votes as those holding the majority in their party. Its just so happens that its Heller’s turn up on the rotation wheel of most vulnerable wingnuts. Next time, it’ll be some other faux moderate, that will pledge some bullshit that runs contrary to the party’s rigid ideology, or it’ll be as simple as denouncing one aspect the rest of his party hold’s dear, just to escape his record and get past a gauntlet of criticism.

You want a moderate, vote for a Blue Dog Democrat because at the very least it will contribute to our numbers towards having a majority and prevent these kinds of bills from ever coming up for a vote in the first place…You want a rightwing bullshitter posing as a moderate, vote Republican. Then you can find out how snookered you were all along, because Republicans don’t have real moderates anymore when it boils right down to it. That’s my take…at least today.

Who’s running against Heller on the Democratic side anyway? Anyone yet announced?

3 Likes

To be honest, I think he’s a Machiavellian mastermind who wants to appear to be twisting arms and doing everything possible to pass a bill, but I don’t think he honestly wants to deal with the fallout of it passing. He likes being Majority Leader too much. I think he’d like to be able to hold a vote, have it fail, and then throw up his arms and get to tax cuts.

3 Likes

You know how O’care gets salvaged? If PP becomes an anvil around their necks, they run far away from next year, and Democrats take the Senate and House. I know that’s a pretty long shot, but with both chambers, a promise to let PP sign something grand, I’m pretty sure he’d step right on the necks of his party and do it. I just don’t think he has any real ideology, and he’d probably be willing to sell out all his newfound Conservative principles if it gets him a photo op.

5 Likes

Iron Law Rule, GOP “Moderates” Always Cave.

But if he is serious that he will not accept roll-back of Medicaid expansion, then good on him.

5 Likes

I think then you’d see Rand Paul, Mike Lee, and Ted Cruz ready to go die on hill fighting against it.

5 Likes

Plenty of room to add some trivial tweak that will let these Kabuki performers claim “I took a principled stand & got results!”

1 Like

Kim Kardashian is getting jealous!

9 Likes

Ew ew ew ew ew o ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

4 Likes

After leaving here I read the piece from here about cynicism and the New Yorker piece about the bait and switch game they’re playing. Apparently they aren’t really playing for the destruction of Medicaid so much as they’re trying to shrink it and gain revenue for their tax cuts, like you said. I wish I had seen those things earlier!

1 Like

Is a no

Is a prob no vote as well.

Manchin’s thoughts on Trumpcare are already documented.

3 Likes

“In this form, I will not support it.”

How about in the form of “accompanied by a huge, unrelated slab of pork for Nevada”?

Nah, he probably wants lots of pork AND a Trump Condo. Should be doable don’t you think?

2 Likes

McConnell: “We have added an amendment that The Rich receiving huge tax breaks from this bill must donate all of their used Band-Aids, contraceptives, and spare “coffin compatible” kindling wood from their third Summer Home to a fund that will be distributed to those who will lose their Medicaid.”

Heller: “This amendment soothes my fears. I am now a yes vote.”

3 Likes

Brain bleach stat - jezz you just can’t un-see that

5 Likes

It is a bit of a catch 22. The turtle may need to rollback killing PP for Murkowski to vote for this too. What the conservatives would do in that case is anyone’s guess.

That’s a lot of ifs, but you’re probably right about PP.

It’s apparent that Heller has been given permission by McConnell to vote no, and even be vocally and aggressively against the bill, considering his present low poll numbers. And Paul is certainly looking like a no vote, as making changes to get a yes from him would risk holding the house on its vote of the senate bill. So it comes down to everybody else. I know and respect Josh so much, but can’t help thinking one or two, more likely Collins, may not cave. They say McConnell never puts a bill on the floor until he has the votes. Maybe this time, without the votes, he does, giving his party the ability to say, I tried, I voted to repeal and replace. It just didn’t pass. Don’t blame me. Wishful thinking?

2 Likes

Ensign’s t-party successor was apparently blindsided by the Senate bill yesterday morning, even though the threat of a dead-man-walking scenario was quite apparent from the instant the House passed its Trumpcare bill. The dawning realization that he is a one-termer over the last 30 hours has been quite amusing in a sea of otherwise dreary news. More Dean please!

1 Like

I don’t believe that the republican senators didn’t know exactly what was in the bill. I think it had already been worked out long ago, and the 13 senators got together with “help” to see how they could sell it.

2 Likes

Heller’s position is more about getting reelected than anything else
And this bill isn’t really a health care bill but rather a mechanism to transfer wealth to the rich at the expense of the poor especially and the middle class as well.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available