Discussion: NV GOP Senator Announces Opposition To Senate Health Care Bill

The MSM seem to be overlooking that very important point.

2 Likes

If Heller holds firm, the GOP Senators from expansion states could hide behind him.

Thatā€™s unless he caves after a meaningless concession is offered. But he does seem boxed in now with the Sandoval statement.

2 Likes

The real mindbender is how can any of the others be for it in its present state.

This is one hell of an unpopular bill nationwide and on both sides of the political spectrum.

Who proudly votes to hurt near a hundred million people and unborn Americans to come?

If this passes, it will haunt the GOP until the day that we get lucky enough to fix everything all over again but even if it doesnā€™t, a yes vote on the record is a deathknell to that particular Senator.

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to be wrong about Heller, but backing away from words is a fundamental skill in politics.

And fire can come from both sides:

The pro-Trump group ā€œAmerica First Policiesā€ is preparing a massive seven-figure ad buy against Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV), just hours after the GOP senator announced Friday that he would not support the Senateā€™s bill to repeal and replace ObamaCare.

The ad buy was first reported by the New York Timesā€™ Maggie Haberman, who posted the news on Twitter.

The group was formed by six former members of Trump and Penceā€™s staffs, including former spokeswoman Katrina Pierson and former deputy campaign manager Rick Gates. The group formed in January to gather people who ā€œbelieve in the Trump agenda,ā€ Gates said at the time.

1 Like

I know one rumor awhile back on Vox or Slate was that even if McConnell couldnā€™t get the votes heā€™d take it to a vote anyway. Reason: show them the body, basically telling Trump ā€œThere, itā€™s dead, enough. Letā€™s move on to tax reform.ā€ But again, itā€™s imperative people keep hounding senators right up until the vote happens.

4 Likes

Well maybe not I read the pence super PAC is planning ad buys against him

OTā€¦But just had to share this if you havenā€™t seen it already. Due to the awful heat in the southwest, this gorilla is having more fun than a barrel of monkeys, or perhaps a few vulnerable Republicans trying to walk a tightrope towards their re-election. (I knew I could make posting this relevant somehow).

Amazing, isnā€™t it? Should be set to ā€œManiacā€ from Flashdance as someone on my local news was saying.

5 Likes

Someone wants to be reelected. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jacky Rosen

Heller is widely considered the most vulnerable Republican up for re-election in 2018 and is the only GOP senator this cycle who represents a state won by Hillary Clinton in 2016. A Public Policy Polling survey released Monday had Heller receiving just 39 percent of the vote if the match-up were held today against a generic Democrat, who earned 46 percent of support among Nevada voters.

5 Likes

The Republicans healthcare legacy is death panelsā€¦

2 Likes

I think theyā€™ll hide behind and ultimately blame Nancy Pelosi, the City of San Francisco and the Dems, in that order. I mean, isnā€™t that whoā€™s fault it is?

Ah, the GOP: pathetic cradle, of the hypocritical, mean, heartless tools of the 1%. Yet they keep on getting elected. I guess racism and anti-abortion (i.e., control of womenā€™s bodies) can go a long way politicallyā€¦

So, since the senate bill is not exactly the same as the house bill (a different mix of cruelty and lies) does that mean there will still have to be a house-senate reconciliation committee and both houses will have to re-vote? Iā€™m a bit lost in all the procedural shenanigans

The problem with this theory is this bill is tax ā€˜reformā€™ - if you wonā€™t touch the defense budget shredding the social safety net is the only way to get extra cash for billionaires. If they donā€™t do this, how can they tackle ā€˜tax reformā€™? even with magic asterisks invoking the trickle-down fairy?

NBC showed the clip on their national news this evening. As I recall, it was set to Maniac.

3 Likes

They donā€™t even have to throw a bone. All that is necessary is a change, for better or for worse. Any change. Then he can say, ā€œSee, I made them change it.ā€

1 Like

Canā€™t just one of these Congressional assholes stand up for or against something because itā€™s the right fucking thing to do? Iā€™m exhausted to the core of people like this guy or Susan Collins or any of these others who wonā€™t take a goddamn step unless itā€™s towards re-election.

Iā€™ve never really been for term limits, but I do see the appeal.

1 Like

Your premise that there exists a moderate republican. One cannot be a republican and hold a belief in a safety net for Americans. Corporate welfare does not allow social welfare programs to exist.

1 Like

It damn near looks like a person in a gorilla suit, doesnā€™t it?

Yep. Who knew gorillas were that agile?

Iā€™ve seen this movie before and I know how it ends.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available