Discussion: After Video Contradicts John Kelly, White House Doubles Down In Defense

Josh Marshall:

It’s a tough question to think why John Kelly would have remembered it so negatively. People go to a lot of events. I can believe he misremembered it and thought it was about getting the money.

Perhaps. But I think it’s more believable that Kelly manufactured a Trumped-up charge against Rep, Wilson because he (and the Trump Administration) would rather talk about that, than talk about how Trump’s travel ban on Chad the Trump Administration’s intelligence failures and poor planning may have led to the attack that killed Sgt. Johnson and three more US soldiers.

Correction/Edited to Add (10/20/2017, ~ 2:35pm,):

Laura Seay, a political scientist who specializes in Africa’s Great Lakes region, makes a convincing argument that putting Chad on the travel ban couldn’t have had anything to do with the attack that killed Sgt. Johnson and three other US soldiers.

Adam L. Silverman, a military expert and analyst who blogs at Balloon-Juice, further posits that:

… the two real lines of inquiry into what went wrong are 1) the seeming intelligence failure and 2) the abysmal lack of support available for 3rd Special Forces Group Soldiers and their host country partners in case something went wrong. … The investigators also need to determine who decided that it was acceptable to deploy around 800 US military personnel with no close air support and aviation based casualty evacuation.

I have edited this comment to reflect that analysis and the above information.

5 Likes

Amazing to watch decency and democracy crushed by a fucking general military officer. Where do shitbags like Kelly and Flynn get trained and why?

4 Likes

She didn’t! You have to look at the context!

Whats interesting is that the WH continues to challenge reality with its own narrative attempting to counter discredit or maginalize what has actually been proven as true.

Its almost like there preparing for this same challenge to emerge on a different subject and are trying to get out ahead of it…before it hits the media cycle…

If i was to guess i’d say their scared shitless about the whole Niger thing and they should be…

2 Likes

So I guess we’re back to 45 fundamentals: black is white, slavery is freedom, Truth is lies, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum. #lifeinanantiworld

1 Like

A lot of times those “tough questions” for Josh cause me to SMH because they aren’t all THAT tough in my opinion as a rule.

4 Likes

Fake is the new real within this admin.

7 Likes

The administration is safely inside its comfort zone on this one: making things up, shocking people with their brazen lies, getting off on how crazy they are making people, knocking down the uppity Other.

3 Likes

Talking about empty barrels when trump is the emptiest of all barrels - I guess irony is not a term with which s.h. sanders is familiar. If Kelly doesn’t correct the record and apologize for his error after seeing the video then he is the same kind of liar as the rest of them

3 Likes

As usual Maddow with the answers

5 Likes

Sanders’ statement continued: “As Gen. Kelly pointed out, if you’re able to make a sacred act like honoring American heroes about yourself, you’re an empty barrel.”

things that make you go “hmmm…”

7 Likes

WTF is an empty barrel anyway? Something about rifles or weapons I don’t understand?

@imkmu3

@sickneffintired We knew she would. And she did

3 Likes

Wow, the video is damning. Yet, facts mean nothing, even to Kelly who has forever destroyed his long-standing honorable service. He’s a toad!

4 Likes

empty beer barrels, they resonate, when you hit them, not gun barrels…(It’s Shakespeare ! or Saxo Grammaticus)

@imkmu3

2 Likes

Maybe an historic idiom? Something about firing a cannon with powder by not a ball? Makes a big noise but does nothing? That’s a guess–I really don’t know.

Edit: I was completely wrong. See, I can admit when I wrong. It’s easy even!

1 Like

Neither Sanders nor another White House spokesperson responded to TPM’s questions about the details it mischaracterized in recounting Kelly’s attack.

Sanders stood firmly by Kelly’s use of alternative facts to characterize Wilson’s comments.

4 Likes

An empty barrel makes more noise than one that is full when struck and that’s what that saying is about - the more noise you make, the less you have to base that noise on as a rule. It’s a perfectly good analogy for Trump, his administration and the entire right wing. That’s why they shout over everybody all the time.

Kelly used it to describe the Congresswoman, as I’m sure you know.

8 Likes

Exactly right. This is a move to stop the bleeding from the base. For a few hours yesterday, I was seeing even Trump fanatics acknowledge that the call was a mistake and Trump should have just apologized, and now it is all “Ha Ha, libtards! This was all a fake news narrative promoted by the lamestream media! You people look for any excuse to hate Trump, but thank goodness we have General Kelly to tell us what really happened!”

3 Likes

I am willing to pay the price of being called a sexist for calling Huckabee Sanders a total bitch.

8 Likes

Is it ok if I DON’T think it’s sexist?

:wink:

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available