Will Smith’s New Film Production Joins Growing Boycotts Against Georgia Law | Talking Points Memo

Actor Will Smith and director Antoine Fuqua announced on Monday that their upcoming film production “Emancipation” will no longer take place in Georgia in response to the state’s restrictive voting law.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1369245

The GOP is a guerrilla organization with the purpose of installing a nativist, minority government with a two-tiered population:

(1) “Real” Americans
(2) And Others

How does that concur with the idea that Will Smith…or the people he loves…can be a part of that?

9 Likes

How about maybe instead donating a bunch of money to voter registration efforts? Or finding something a lot more targeted to boycott instead? I think Stacey Abrams’ take is the correct one.

7 Likes

Though Chenault and Abrams should be concerned, they also should have been prepared for potential boycotts; after all

pre pandemic

11 Likes

Like?

Potential pre pandemic Georgia boycotts were always an option. though i understand what Abrams and Chenault are now dealing with, they should’ve saw this coming.

3 Likes

I’ve been watching the Will Smith produced and narrated Netflix series Amend about the 14th Amendment. It’s a good historical primer almost Ken Burns like on how the post civil war amendments were passed and how reconstruction was quashed.

11 Likes

I don’t know how anybody could make a film called ‘Emancipation’ in Georgia right now…just sayin’…

13 Likes

Actor Will Smith and director Antoine Fuqua announced on Monday that their upcoming film production “Emancipation” will no longer take place in Georgia in response to the state’s restrictive voting law.

This construction’s awkward, and might be taken to mean the fictional events portrayed were originally set in Georgia, but now will not be. Might I suggest:

Actor Will Smith and director Antoine Fuqua announced on Monday that their upcoming film project “Emancipation” will no longer be produced in Georgia. The move comes in response to the state’s new restrictive voting law.

Just so, you know, it doesn’t read like “We always intended to film in Vancouver, but we were going to set the story in Atlanta. Now, though, we’re doing a find & replace on the script to make ‘Atlanta’ into ‘Topeka’.”

P.S. That sort of thing would get caught by one of them… whatchamacallits… them things you don’t have here at @TPMcopy editors.

3 Likes

It would really be nice if they would move the production to say…a blue state.

Hint, hint.

6 Likes

I understand that boycotts are complicated, but this is the right thing to do. And Will Smith… what a mensch! Love that guy.

8 Likes

In terms of having two off-ramps, you are surely correct. Sometimes adjustment w/o boycott is better, sometimes not.

That avoids stupid scenes like POC disagreeing publicly with boycotts instead of simply using another off-ramp.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand that this protest is the easy thing to do, but I don’t see how it helps the problem.

Georgia: Actively working to cheat the next election because too many of the wrong kind of people are suddenly voting thanks to hard work by a number of motivated and skilled activists.

Louisiana: Don’t need to bother with the vote fixing laws yet because their previous efforts are still holding back the minority hordes.

This is really just penalizing Georgia for not having baked the racism into their voting systems deeply enough.

2 Likes

Concerted, organized, purposeful and pre-calculated responses are always better than knee-jerk OutRage which often feeds the OutRage Industry.

The former could have had Kemp begging for the Dems to call off the dogs.

1 Like

I didn’t say move the production to LA.

My hint was to move it to Washington State.

Give us a bump since we DO have proper voting systems.

4 Likes

No, I was really agreeing with you.

My entire point was “We don’t like your GA racism laws so we’re moving to Louisiana” is just…stupid. The only reason Louisiana hasn’t done the exact same thing is that they won’t turn Blue until just before Mississippi.

Louisiana has no need to expose themselves to angry press and boycotts and such - because they’re ALREADY WORSE than Georgia. They’ve just got it baked in deeply enough that losing their EVs and Senate seats aren’t a danger.

3 Likes

There is a growing film industry in New Mexico.

Join us!

4 Likes

GA is the state in play here, not LA. So, not real world stupid.

I asked FIRST! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t think that either of us has any real input.

But NM would be great!!!

1 Like

I guess it depends on whether or not they’re just trying to affect Georgia or actual positive change for the rest of the nation.

“If you’re already this bad, we’re fine giving you our money. It’s only the swing states we’ll bother protesting.”

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available