Will Smith’s New Film Production Joins Growing Boycotts Against Georgia Law | Talking Points Memo

No. This is penalizing Georgia for electing servile assholes, that want to be seen pleasing Donald Trump. The law was entirely unnecessary, at least they could have waited longer.

5 Likes

Production companies have added a huge impact on Georgia’s economy. In fact, in 2019, nearly 400 movies and TV shows filmed in Georgia impacting 3,040 motion picture and television industry businesses.

Be a shame if that industry, let’s say … went away for a while, heh heh.

7 Likes

What’s the 2nd off ramp?

Whether it’s Kemp or his predecessor, Georgia Republicans enjoy being a-holes. The backlash from 2019’s abortion law should’ve been a wake up call, but they believed Trump had their back.

4 Likes

?

4 Likes

…and look at how punishing that boycott is - it’s getting them a movie.

Me

“hmm, watching a pre NXT and post Wrestlemania Raw seems like a great idea and better than researching current southern state boycotts.”

Boycotts were always considered in that case.

I don’t have much time, but I’ll be happy to look up how many southern states are facing voting rights boycotts. I might have to miss Dark-Elevation, but i like a challenge.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be shocked if governor Kemp and some other goobers counter by recruiting Paula Deen to produce a new show in Georgia. “Paula Deen’s Plantation cooking” “It’s buttery good”

3 Likes

Thank you for not saying “squashed”. That’s what you do to a pumpkin.

2 Likes

I think the dominant idea is that you can’t shoot a movie called “Emancipation” in georgia right now.

7 Likes

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/kareem-abdul-jabbar-boycotting-states-passing-abortion-bans-1212455

6 Likes

People respond to injustices in various ways, and sometimes, in the moment, it can be difficult to determine the exact right approach to force change, even as we agree the status quo in Georgia, with the passage of this bill, is unacceptable.

I don’t fault those who choose to boycott as an expression of their outrage because I believe it’s justified by the state’s actions, though I’m not yet certain of its effectiveness and recognize the pain it may cause to bystanders. The key is to focus on the reasons for the boycott and not on the boycott itself. We should constantly hammer publically on the provisions in the bill that justify our outrage, because I doubt the general public is aware of what’s in the bill.

Registering and educating voters, as Stacy Abrams is doing is essential and must be done, but the fact remains the Georgia legislature has usurped power from the counties to adjudicate close elections, reasonable to assume, corruptly. That’s an uncomfortable situation if you’re a Democrat or just believe in democracy.

2 Likes

Good for you, Will. Thank you.

1 Like

He can’t do both? The thing republicans care about most is money which equals power. So if you want to punish or influence them you have to take it away. Nothing else works as well. Nothing.

I fail to see how taking good jobs away from production crews who are overwhelmingly based in the blue parts of the state will create even the slightest pressure on Republican officials to make any changes whatsoever to their dumb law. A boycott does not hurt their bottom lines in the slightest.

I fail to see how focusing only on voter turnout for the 2022 election prevents Georgia republicans from doing more of this until then and making it harder and harder.

When you are dealing with kids and animals the response to bad behavior has to be immediate or it will have no effect. You can’t go to your dog and say “bad dog for chewing the couch yesterday”.

Who said anything about “focusing only on voter turnout”? I would be just fine with boycotts that actually hurt the people who enacted this voter suppression statute. That does not, so far as I am aware, include any titans of the Georgia film industry.

The NCAA is stepping up for transgender rights:

2 Likes

Your going to have to think on more than one level.

For one, some of the bigger donors are pulling away because of all the boycotts. Really, I shouldn’t have to explain some of this to you. It’s not point A to point B, it’s point A to point Z.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available