Why Trump’s Mob Incitement Can’t Be Separated From Has Larger Effort To Steal An Election | Talking Points Memo

Donald Trump DELIBERATELY told police and security officials to ‘stand down’ during the insurrection. Why is stating the obvious so fucking difficult? He did it. Trump is 100% responsible for the death and destruction. He knows that and everyone else knows that. Knock off the political posturing.

7 Likes

Dead eyes. It’s a real thing.

6 Likes

:sob:

4 Likes

“Stand back and stand by,” is the way Trump puts it.

Yup, because they’ve been fed a steady stream of bullshit, and the response from influencers was too often “both sides.” That’s changing some, at least. I hated the way CNN enabled every republican who spewed nonsense, but I gotta say, they’ve been pretty clear for a while who’s on what side. Add to that the tech companies FINALLY starting to clamp down on violent rhetoric and the possibility that Dominion’s lawsuit will have some effect on Newsmax, etc, and we might just survive as a country. It will take a magical mixture of time and steady pressure, but I think it’s more of a possibility now than I thought it was 8 days ago.

5 Likes

You don’t have to be smart (and he isn’t) to do what he did. The populist wave he rode had been building up for a long time. He just happened to be at the right place at the right time, with name recognition and an instinct for getting his way with a firehose of lies.

I think his stupidity actually helped him, because so many R’s thought he would be a useful idiot who could be controlled. Just a figurehead for their power moves. They didn’t anticipate that someone this ignorant of how government works would be the proverbial Bull in a China Shop, destroying everything he touched.

9 Likes

You’re either with us or with the domestic terrorists.

2 Likes

and in Texas today …

Trump says, “People thought that what I said was totally appropriate.”

Wow … he never breaks stride - how can he be so locked in to this bullshit way of phrasing everything thing - this convoluted lying … “people said” "people tell me "

7 Likes

I remember the tumult of the Vietnam War. The protests, the music, the long hair, the drug use, the rise of a generation of youth that set back those that birthed them on their heels… All that caused resentments, suspicions and ill will that to this day have strong undercurrents in our society, a full 50 years later. “Damned hippies!!” still resonates with millions of people.
What we’re witnessing now will leave a permanent scar on the nation. At least permanent in the sense that in 50 years future generations will still be dealing with the fallout from it.

5 Likes

The real victims here are all the exceptionalist people who thought they wouldn’t be held accountable for doing or inciting to do a bunch of violent and treasonous stuff. At least that’s what they’re saying.

2 Likes

Obama turned the other cheek at the Bundy ranch, when he should have responded with overwhelming force. That only emboldens these assholes.

Next time they take over a Federal facility or force a standoff, give them a chance to surrender, and if they don’t do so immediately, kill some of them.

10 Likes

Because down deep, he knows it’s bullshit.

1 Like

To understand what happened, ask yourself this question—

If the GOP stole the election, wouldn’t you be pissed off? Indeed, what do you think would have happened if Trump had managed to pull off his efforts to retain power through his various plots?

Do you think that there would have been violence in the streets?

This isn’t about Trump telling people to march down the street and “fight”. Its about his long term effort to justify violence – and his intense two month disinformation/propaganda campaign that has successfully convinced about 1/3 of the country that THEIR ELECTION was stolen.

6 Likes

Let’s not forget the whole Ukraine thing. He was out to put the fix in – and willing to go to illegal means – from the very beginning.

5 Likes

or…dump is ready to start a war and Pompeo as SOS needs to be around

Susan Collins Earns Jeers As Her First Thought Was That Iranians Were Attacking, Not Pro-Trump Supporters | Crooks and Liars

2 Likes

I’ve always thought that was his biggest issue, he thought he pulled enough levers behind the curtain to make sure he won Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. But it didn’t work. It never made sense that he paid for a recount in two of the bluest counties…Dane and Milwaukee. Unless he figured they cheated like he tried to. With so many mailed ballots by Democrats, there was no way he could mess with those votes. That’s why he wanted them thrown out. I believe he bragged he was going to win those three states again like he did in 2016.

4 Likes

Her first suspicions centered on Huns, Visigoths and Vandals, but then she remembered hearing from someone they were on a no-fly list.

3 Likes

For the impeachment trial, it seems to me it would be wise to include Michael Bromwich on the prosecution team. He understands it in a way that I haven’t seen articulated before, and it’s spot on.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available