Why Trump’s Mob Incitement Can’t Be Separated From Has Larger Effort To Steal An Election | Talking Points Memo

In order to understand President Trump’s role in inciting a mob to storm the Capitol — and whether that behavior amounts to impeachable conduct — the events of last Wednesday shouldn’t be seen in a vacuum.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1354054
1 Like

It’s important to get this context. From the moment that Trump questioned absentee ballots and rigged the post office, the fix was in. We Dems just outsmarted him.

45 Likes

I sincerely hope that Congress gets deep into the true level of conspiracy that culminates in this insurrection. That includes who in DOJ, the Pentagon, Hill Cops, etc. had prior knowledge and either facilitated or turned a blind eye to the attack on American Democracy. No one should be shielded from scrutiny.

24 Likes

Dems. just worked far harder. This is why Dems. must enact the strongest laws possible to protect and expand the right to vote.

16 Likes

Add the post-riot pleas from Rudes to objecting senators, to the effect “just get us delayed until tomorrow.” The trash-the-Capitol plan, complete with withholding any reinforcements to Capitol Police, now clearly emerging as a stalling tactic.

15 Likes

My take is somewhat different: they relied on yahoos and wink, wink, nudge, nudge instructions to pull off something that takes massive coordination and intelligence.

We got lucky.

Luck is not a strategy.

17 Likes

17 Likes

Josh Marshall wrote an editorial. If you haven’t seen it…

32 Likes

Biden is gonna have a tough time turning the page.

5 Likes

New Rule:

January 6, 2021 shall be known from now on as Bad Steal Day.

17 Likes

Biden shouldn’t even consider turning a page if you are talking about healing the divisions. Obama tried that and it was about as successful as Don Quixote’s windmill attack.

15 Likes

Absolument!

3 Likes

Once again, TPM giving Useful Idiot Trump way too much credit

The folks running the shit show

16 Likes

It’s as if he has something to hide and he desperately doesn’t want us to find out. He is a ruined man once he leaves office.

19 Likes

It’s hiding in plain sight. He has massive legal issues and massive debt he cannot cover. The Presidency was his shield from the avalanche of shit coming his direction.

17 Likes

…told reporters that while he doesn’t want “violence,” he thinks impeachment is the real move “causing tremendous danger to our country.”

That’s funny; impeachment is a “tremendous danger” to HIM, not “our country.” Worst. President… EVER.

17 Likes

I guess this needs to be stated but it seems so obvious I don’t see how it won’t be.

4 Likes

I wonder if the GOP has figured out what lesson Trump learned from ‘touching the hot stove’.
He learned how to turn that pain on to others.

5 Likes

It was the Bastille Day military parade that trump wanted to replicate at the 4th of July.

5 Likes

He seems to believe that anything he “owns” is an extension of himself and since he “won” America in 2016, it is him right now. So anything that hurts him, would hurt America. A fractured and bastardized L’état, c’est moi.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available