Why Trump’s Mob Incitement Can’t Be Separated From Has Larger Effort To Steal An Election | Talking Points Memo

To people who’ve been following the whole saga from the beginning, with an understanding of the psychology and motivations involved. But if you just came on this information cold, with frankly not a lot of interest—and that describes most citizens of this country—it would be a lot to take in. There’s the whole pattern of roadblocks he threw up to diminish the Democratic vote, and then the systematic propaganda to deligitimize the results, giving cover to a whole second and third tier of deniers to whip up the furor. Many people have doubts! And this whole effort to create a new reality goes back more than four years. So it’s obvious if you see it, but quite a bit to take on board if you haven’t paid attention so far.

17 Likes

Trump is the end result of the ‘Cult of Personality’ where Trump is Id and Id is Trump.

3 Likes

Righteous anger on this comment thread.

Superb.

7 Likes
  1. Yes, Dems outsmarted him; full credit given there.

2. Also, lots of ordinary nonpolitical folks, like mail carriers and poll workers, continued to do their jobs to the best of their ability, despite sometimes very crude attempts to interfere.

3. Also, the script for Donald’s Excellent Authoritarian Adventure clearly did not envision folks with an (R) by their names, like the GA SoS, still doing their jobs with integrity.

18 Likes

This nation won’t heal from this for an entire generation. The tears at the fabric of our society are many and in some cases irreparable.

8 Likes

In a positive note, Trump has been reduced to whining about impeachment on Yelp.

9 Likes

So far I give his current impeachment 2-1/2 stars. I think Pelosi started the meal late and used a lot of weak sauce.

5 Likes

I was just getting ready to post this. Withholding aid was what got him impeached last year, too.

I don’t think we can overstate the wierdness of still-loyal republican attitudes here. If all members had still been on the floor when the armed rioters made it that far, do they think the rioters would have known the party affiliation of most members by sight, or checked the Capitol Directory before starting to beat or shoot them? They really have no clue that they were in as much danger as just about anyone with the possible exception of Nancy Pelosi, who I’m sure is burned into their lizard brains.

14 Likes

With the delicious irony that becoming president* is what triggered the avalanche in the first place.

5 Likes

Dessert will make or break this repast.

4 Likes

Trump as outsmarted not only by the Dems but in Georgia it was by Stacey Abrams, a black woman so you know that cut ran deep

12 Likes

A face even a mother can’t love.

I agree, and I think that this is why he’s so apoplectic about losing. he was sure he’d done enough ratfuckery to take this out of reach of the Dems, and when the Ds pulled it out, he just couldn’t / can’t understand how this is possible unless they cheated more than he did. Cheaters are always going to think that others are doing the same.

16 Likes

Which begs the question; exactly how smart is Trump? It took a herculean effort to unseat him and he’s still going!

That QAnon Shaman is a Navy vet. Served two years before being kicked out for refusing to take a vaccine:

Task & Purpose reported that Chansley was kicked out of the Navy after refusing to take the anthrax vaccine.

8 Likes

Really sounds more like Pompeo was told to stay the hell out.

14 Likes

Sorry, but I am much more interested in the new DoJ’s take on the Georgia phone call incident.

And sadly, that’s just an example of who the last 4 years have gone…Trump does something outrageously illegal, then does something even worse a few days later and the outrageously illegal thing just disappears down the rabbit hole.

13 Likes

There won’t be any sort of closure until Trump is brought to account. The wheels of justice move slowly, and the phalanx of lawyers he’ll somehow find a way to employ can tie up any charges for years. And if he is sanctioned in some meaningful measure there still will only be closure for roughly half the country, as that justice delivered will serve to open wounds and inflame the remaining half still loyal to him. One way or another, whatever the eventual resolution of all this, fully half the nation is going to be left feeling pissed off and screwed. This baby cannot be split, ever.

4 Likes

This was not an organic uprising. The moment the internals said he was probably going to lose was the moment the planning of this insurrection began. From hobbling law enforcement, to overt and coded messages to the lunatic base, to the complicity of some in the Capitol police force and perhaps others, this insurrection was textbook Trump and his enablers. He will never give up.

9 Likes

awww poor repubies, their mouth breathers are turning on them.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available