Whitmer Reiterates Demand For Surge In Vaccine Doses Amid Current MI COVID Spike | Talking Points Memo

Michigan has issues and the Republicans are (always) part of the problem. Since Alabama and Mississippi seem to be sitting on a lot of vaccine, Biden should give Whitmer and Michigan a little more as long as Michigan can push out the vaccine it has in stock.

I wonder how many people went on Spring Break to places like Florida and Texas? That uptick in cases might line up with Spring Break in COVID states.

3 Likes

I think this is an important question. There are people in Michigan who want vaccinations. They are not responsible for their Governor’s mistakes. If there are doses available, it’s the Governor’s job to get them dispensed. I believe the feds have offered help in the form of more vaccinators.

But if Michigan has exhausted, or is on the brink of exhausting its allocated supply, that’s a different matter. The first priority has to be getting people vaccinated. If some states (Mississippi) are not dispensing doses quickly, then divert some of their allocation to Michigan until they (Mississippi) catch up. That seems perfectly equitable to me.

1 Like

Huh? What mistakes. There’s a surge happening here involving one of the deadlier, more contagious variants. More people than anticipated are now getting Covid, and more MIchiganders need to get vaccinated ASAP before it gets worse.

She’s just trying to deal with this latest reality and getting no help at all from the republican legislature, which continues to play its nasty little political games. Most of us are on her side and doing what we can to continue to wear masks and social distance and stay out of crowded places.

5 Likes

Google lockdown and Michigan.

Results not found.

The rest of us should not be paying for their failures, if they want extra doses at the expense of responsible people, they can lock the fuck down, then we can talk.

The MI Supreme Court ruled against her. What do you suggest?

6 Likes

The legislature and the court need the thousands-of-tombstones-on-their-lawns treatment. But of course that would require media coverage.

1 Like

This is a good idea, but it won’t do enough right now, and I’m not even sure what it can do. We need to clean house and get the districts redrawn so that they better reflect the makeup of the state. Dems are definitely underrepresented with the current map.

Act Blue:

Defend Michigan from right-wing power grabs

Taking away lifesaving executive authority during a pandemic or any natural disaster is irresponsible and reckless. Saving lives should not be a partisan issue.

Keep Michigan Safe is a broad and diverse coalition formed to protect the executive powers of Michigan’s governor during a public health crisis and defeat the cynically named “Unlock Michigan” ballot initiative. We need you to help fight back with a contribution of $25 or more today.

5 Likes

Meanwhile in Fort Lauderdale, Floriduh:

7 Likes

And Florida is one of the five states where Covid is surging. Sickening.

Warning: Covid doesn’t care about politics or religion.

4 Likes

Others in this thread have cited things they consider mistakes or failures by Whitmer, and would punish people who need and want vaccinations for those things. My point is that Whitmer’s actions, whatever they might be, are not relevant to the problem. I tried to say that without picking a fight with anyone. Guess I missed.

1 Like

Or if one is a kid at spring break and believe one’s self bullet proof.

4 Likes

Sorry, but she’s been targeted by republicans since this begin. Kidnapping, anyone? Witches?

She has done everything right. She’s tryng to keep us safe, and we appreciate that and thank her.

I shudder to think how things would have been with a republican governor.

4 Likes

She can argue with Biden and not get shafted. She can argue with her legislature and still get vindictive backstabbing.

Michigan is a hot spot because it is seeing variants. If you want those variants to spread keep allotments as they are. If you want to slow down the spread of the variants, send the vaccines where they are.

1 Like

It’s interesting that the Republicans on the committee objected to someone who had represented the Obama administration in an action over the obvious conflict of interest of Brian Kemp as secretary of state of Georgia overseeing practices that affected his ability to win votes for governor.

1 Like

Hundreds of Floridians marching for the free speech of ignoramuses.

3 Likes

Let’s be honest …they are marching for the right to die and to kill.

4 Likes

Yes, indeed. Michigan is responsible for its government. It has elected judges, who ruled her safety measures unconstitutional.

The NYT article carefully avoided the past history saying that Gov. Whitmer only asked for voluntary public safety measures, as if she had inexplicably wimped out.

I’m not willing to sacrifice so that Michiganders can better live out their MAGA fantasies.

2 Likes

Pretty much like Arizona. Covid refugees being airlifted to our-of-State hospitals.

i know it is a hard problem to allocate efficiently, but this is all i have gotten locally for weeks. I did follow the instructions to find a vaccine outside the area, but it does indicate to me we have not saturated all the markets in the state.

None of the locations in your search currently have appointments available for COVID-19 vaccines. Please try another zip code or city within the state in which you’re eligible, or check back soon for available appointments.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available