Whitmer Reiterates Demand For Surge In Vaccine Doses Amid Current MI COVID Spike | Talking Points Memo

Putting the blame where it belongs.

Not getting a surge from Biden while not pushing the actually guilty parties to fix their shit is like blaming the ambulance crew for the accident when they show up to the scene.

9 Likes

Thought Biden said no. Thatā€™s what was in my news feed this morning.

1 Like

Making the GOP happy and helping them win elections? Yeah great idea

Yes, he did. Iā€™m fine with that, fwiw. Let Michigan stew in its own juices awhile. When GOP voters start dying off, thatā€™s when the state legislature will start caring

2 Likes

Plus this -

the state received a record number of vaccines this week, over 554,000 doses, with another 620,000 expected next week as vaccine production ramps up.

Michigan now ranks 34th in the rate of getting people started on the typically two-dose vaccine

So there vaccine allotment is already increasing, thereā€™s over 300K that are also available, plus it seems their vaccine delivery infrastructure is a bit lacking. Last week, they delivered 408,452 (from Michigan.gov) out of 554,000 doses with 145,548 left. That holds to whatā€™s been reported - that they are using ~74% of their weekly doses.

So, the vaccine quantities are increasing and they already donā€™t use all of their weekly allotment.

9 Likes

I didnā€™t read the whole piece - it was behind a paywall. Did see the headline.

I am not second guessing anything they decide to do about vaccinations since Bidenā€™s plan so far has been an amazing success.

10 Likes

Gov. Whitmer isnā€™t ā€œdemandingā€ anything.

Sheā€™ making her arguments as to why her state should get more vaccine doses. If she DIDNā€™T do this, she would be negligent in her duties to insure the health of the people whom she governs.

This kind of ā€œgotchaā€ title doesnā€™t help anyone.

9 Likes

You arenā€™t from Michigan, are you?

Current law in Michigan gives emergency powers to the Governor, but only for 30 days without consent of the legislature. She has been asking for the legislatureā€™s support for a year, but it isnā€™t happening.

Some authority also is with the state Department of Health. The legislature refuses to appropriate COVID funding unless the governor signs a bill transferring that authority to county health departments.

I canā€™t say enough bad things about our Republican legislators.

21 Likes

From what Iā€™ve read previously, a lot of the spread here is by children and young adults. People who are unlikely to even know theyā€™re carriers. Iā€™ve noticed the children in my Detroit neighborhood no longer wear masks. People are acting like itā€™s all been taken care of and no amount of telling people otherwise is going to change that.

6 Likes

From what Iā€™ve read yeah thatā€™s true - itā€™s hitting younger people and they are being hospitalized.

3 Likes

While in MO the Missouri Republicans want to hand the Gov sole authority in a public health crisis. They want to take away a county executiveā€™s power after 30 days because those people in the County Health Departments arenā€™t elected.

Tears for Fears need to write a cods about everyone wants to rule the world, and nobody wants to take responsibility.
4 Likes

We live in a rural area in southern Michigan near Ann Arbor. People in our local town are still pretty compliant with mask wearing and distancing but people are less compliant when you get into the red areas of the state.

I have mixed feelings about Whitmerā€™s response to the recent surge in cases. While I believe that there should be a mandated pause in school sports and indoor dining, I am not sure that it is politically possible at this time. Too many yahoos in the legislature and at large that oppose these measures.

If extra vaccine is available, particularly the one-and-done J&J vaccine, it would make sense to allocate more doses here. However, I would oppose taking vaccine designated for other states, particularly without concurrent mandated restrictions on behavior. We intend to remain cautious even after we are fully vaccinated (we are getting our second Moderna vaccines next weekend). Itā€™s really not too hard to make minor sacrifices until we get most of the state vaccinated.

14 Likes

Yeah, but hoarding them and actually administering them are two different things. I believe some southern governors would rather destroy the doses than give them to the ā€œother.ā€

3 Likes

Well it would be health professionals handling any transfers, not the governor. Itā€™s kind of a moot point because vaccine redistributionā€™s not going to happen, but I donā€™t see health professionals deliberately sabotaging life-saving vaccines

3 Likes

Governor here just allots vaccine to local county health officials who decide who gets the shots.

There has been a concerted effort in Dallas Co from the beginning to try to get underserved communities vaccinated.

3 Likes

If MI is anything like my red state, Republicans are pushing people aside and jumping line to get to those vaccines.

Itā€™s the lack of personal fortitude by conservatives to wear masks and socially distance that is the real problem why there is a surge right now in MI. The MAGA are deliberately challenging Democratic authority (uppity, liberal woman governor) while ignoring what they know is common sense.

Republicans have become so radicalized since a Black man became president that they donā€™t care if they (and everyone else) dies to prove that they still have the power to impose their will on others while destroying our democracyā€¦just what Putin was counting on. Played right into his hands.

7 Likes

The most important news story in Michigan isnā€™t this deadlock over vaccine doses. Itā€™s the Redistricting Commission. Itā€™s off to a difficult start because of census delays but, even so, They look to be doing all the right things

9 Likes

There are ways for Republicans to throw a monkey wrench into just about anything that needs to be done. This is no exception. There are conservatives still in office or placed deep within the bureaucracy who would rather let the virus kill thousands more rather than allow a woman Democratic Governor get credit for doing a good job.

They just donā€™t care. They arenā€™t Pro Life, Law & Order, fiscally responsible or willing to cooperate. Havenā€™t been since they took to pretending that Democrats, minorities and those of other religions were an enemy that had to be conquered.

ā€œMy fellow Americansā€ now means to Republicans ā€œcorporate citizensā€ not human beings. Once conservatives went down that rabbit hole there was no way for them to come back whole.

3 Likes

I am a constituent of Governor Whitmer and I generally support her proposals. I donā€™t know exactly what is going on throughout the state. I live in one of the more populated Upper Peninsula counties and we have begun to have more vaccine here than we have people willing to be vaccinated. I donā€™t know exactly what groups are becoming infected, I do believe there are lots of irresponsible leaders and individuals in this state who are willing to sacrifice peoples health to maintain their narrative about the pandemic and how Whitmer isnā€™t doing her job, which I believe she is.

10 Likes

Our state set up a bipartisan method to redistrict headed by an independent commission through a voter initiative and then the current GOP legislature and governor passed a law to go against the voters and disband it.

They are now doing this with every law that was once passed with the cooperation of both parties. If voters want something, they take it away.

You have to pass a state Constitutional Amendment to make anything stick and even then they ignore that by passing laws that lessen the meaning or impact. And now Republicans have just passed a measure that will make it harder to bring any Constitutional initiative to the ballot.

Donā€™t ever underestimate the corruption that now defines the Republican Party. They must control everything or they will destroy everything just to prove they still have the power to do it. Itā€™s a defeatist attitude for sure.

But then conservatives see how demographics are fast changing along with voter ideological preferences, so they know they are going to lose eventuallyā€¦but want to prolong the agony as long as possible.

Will there be anything left after they are done? Thatā€™s the question at this point. Itā€™s what those GOP top tier donors must have been asking themselves at their meeting this weekend. Is this economically advantageous for them to go along with this lunacy?

As money always comes first with conservatives, I figure the MAGA and their Second Coming of God are about to be sacrificed for the good of the Almighty Dollar. May they all go ranting and kicking to a jail cell somewhere after committing so many crimes against Humanity and democracy.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available