What New Revelations Will Emerge Before Feb Impeachment Trial | Talking Points Memo

I think 5 of them have already had it. Bad neighbor Paul, Mike Lee… others?

1 Like

Several of them were covid-19 positive during Justice Handmaid’s confirmation, the vote still succeeded.

5 Likes

Yep. Mitch controls the cash for all of those Senators in the Chao line.

8 Likes

Mitch never used the word “incited.”

1 Like

14 Likes

McConnell has every reason to want to see Trump, and Trumpism, exorcised from the party. Trump was a force that was not under control of the mainstream party leaders, even though they saw the value in exploiting the forces that brought him about. There were always extreme risks in this strategy based on the many uncontrollable aspects of Trump’s personality.

He’s now no longer useful, and the delicate task for McConnell and the cynical politicians who supported and profited from Trump, will be to detach the party from him without shattering it and without being identified with him.

9 Likes

So sue me for hyperbole. Donnie got away with it all the time.

1 Like

Cole Porter once wrote a tune that fits the coming moments just fine…" Anything goes"

3 Likes

If he had used that word, he would have given his OK to the conviction.
So he used a different word.

6 Likes

“You may call me a dreamer”
:notes: …but you’re not the only one.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this and you are right, it is really good. He is a good writer.

5 Likes

I just googled: "The Kentucky Republican said Tuesday on the Senate floor, “The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other powerful people.”

11 Likes

It doesn’t matter if it emerges that Trump shot someone on Fifth Avenue–because he’s already done worse. There isn’t a snowball’s chance in hell of conviction by this GOP caucus. It would destroy their careers, and it would destroy the GOP prospects of regaining the Senate majority in 2022, because Trump and his followers would spend the next 2 years getting even. The GOP will not implode. McConnell will not miscalculate.

4 Likes

Provoked is in fact synonymous with inciting. :smiling_imp: You were right the first time. I was surprised McConnell went that far.

10 Likes

It will be less painful if you peel the scales off your eyes now. McConnell will never allow his caucus to convict Trump. His words are wind. They are going to try to retcon and memory hole Trump, which they succeeded in doing for Bush 43 with the help of the spineless media and the electorate who have the memory of a goldfish and the attention span of a gnat. The tell was when Moscow Mitch refused to reconvene the Senate early IN RESPONSE TO AN ARMED VIOLENT COUP ATTEMPT. Everything after that is just theatrics and more theatrics.

Either the Dems go on permanent rhetorical war footing now and leave the nice talk to President Biden (still feels good to type that) or their perceived and then actual power is going to start fading gradually, and then fast. We cannot have a replay of 2011-2020 where they ran roughshod over everything.

8 Likes

The Bernster channeling his inner Jerry Falwell, Jr…?

6 Likes

The longer it hangs around their necks, the stinkier it, and they will get.

7 Likes

You know there are members in McConnell’s caucus that are a little slow on the uptake.

3 Likes

Birds.feather.together.

5 Likes

We’ll learn more about the Trump’s Post Office scam to rig the delivery and receipt of absentee ballots.

We’ll learn much more about Trump’s effort to pressure AZ/MI/PA legislators as he did Georgia.

We’ll learn how he tried to enlist the DOJ to jump on board the incendiary and ridiculous legal theories propagated by Ken Starr about the state legislature’s right to dispense with popular vote and impose their own views and electors.

We’ll learn about efforts about Trump’s attempts to manipulate the Insurrection Act to create a pretext to occupy DC, or seize voting machines or voting records in other states.

41 Likes