What New Revelations Will Emerge Before Feb Impeachment Trial | Talking Points Memo

“You’re damn right it does!”

20 Likes

Ah… soy boy, in costume.

7 Likes

Road kill cosplay

9 Likes

Too soon, too soon, they need time to process what happened, too much will get swept under the rug if this thing is rushed. If you’re going to do a job do it right the first time, or in this case the second time.

I thought the adults were back in charge.

3 Likes

That’s a biggie. If they stick with their vow not to fund members who voted against certifying the EC votes, the next couple cycles won’t be much fun for the GOP. Maybe a coalition of the grass-roots organizers could make it clear to these corporations that we like what they did and want them to keep up the good work, the implicit big stick being if you mess up we’ll hit the alarm and boycott you into the Stone Age. McConnell is said to be particularly spooked by this aspect of it all, which presumably pushes him further toward cauterization.

22 Likes

I think the trick here lies in the fact that there needs to be a 2/3 majority of senators present. From the US Senate website:

Conviction in the Senate requires the concurrence of a two-thirds supermajority of those present.

All Yertle has to do is to make sure that his most vulnerable people are all “sick” that day, which reduces the number to that the number of Goopers who need to vote to convict is dropped and then have his least vulnerable / retiring / purple state folks vote for conviction.

36 Likes

They could get away with one or two absences, but not, for instance, ten. If ten goopers chicken out, it becomes a big story in its own right. Both parties’ voters expect their reps to show up and do their job.

7 Likes

GOP fanatics will accept any excuse that absolves their Senators from having to vote to convict.

23 Likes

A good one:

31 Likes

Rachael Maddow mentioned this a few nights ago. It may give Repubs a way to avoid too much push back from Trumpers. I’d even take that if it meant a conviction. Of course getting them all on the record would be great too.

6 Likes

I won’t be getting my hopes up on “more revelations to emerge” because there is already more than enough evidence from Trump’s behavior in fomenting insurrection. There are no missing details to fill in. There is more to know about secondary actors like Lauren Boebert giving a tour, but she’s not on trial in the Senate.

That said, there is one thing I’d like to see emerge, and that’s testimony from any aides who witnessed Trump’s reaction to watching the riot on TV after returning to the White House, and the timeline for any requests for Trump to do something to stop the riots. This is important for helping to establish intent, but I don’t know if they’ll get any former members of the inner circle to testify…

14 Likes

A twofer

5 Likes

Could they all come down with covid? All those superspreader meetings.

7 Likes

This is really good:

30 Likes

Mitch is getting his ducks in a row. When he says out loud that Trump incited the riot, those are not empty words. And I’m calling BS on the thought that Mitch won’t pressure his caucus. That’s what he does. That is who Mitch is.

13 Likes

Of course, you’re quite right.

However, covid provides a perfect excuse: a whole bunch of Goopers just tested positive or were exposed…

Might just work.

10 Likes

I don’t care that much about getting a conviction. He’s not really going to run again, though will fund-raise (and grift the money away) on the premise. Even if convicted, he’ll still fundraise off the little trumplings running for office.

What matters is making 50 GOP senators eat the shit sandwich: they have to either reject the man who owns their base, or endorse the man who sent a lynch mob to kill them.

24 Likes

Because there seems to be no bottom in the stupidity of many repugs, I am hoping that a large contingent will decide that because of the (pick one- illegality, unconstitutionality, general badness/meaness) of the proceedings they have decided to boycott them and the vote.
Thereby lowering the numbers needed to convict. You may call me a dreamer…

4 Likes

t

Wouldn’t want to have that job.4 YEARS of fact checking Trump. . WOW !

7 Likes

Yeah. Poor Daniel Dale. That’s why I thought I owed him the courtesy of reading that. hahahahahahaha It’s worth reading too.

Have we convicted the motherfucker yet?

29 Likes