What Exactly Do the Christian Nationalists Want? - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Over the past month, I’ve been speaking with people who describe themselves as Christian nationalists, with Christians who are vehemently opposed to that movement, and with those who seem to agree with its overall aims but dislike the term. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485410
1 Like

I have only two observations. One: God (their God) gives me gas. Two: Keep your religion out of my face.

23 Likes

The answer is quite simple: Christian Nationalism = Fascism. History told us that, and it is being told quite boldly today.

33 Likes

What they want is the same thing every other reactionary group in history has ever wanted: total unquestioned, unchallengeable dominance of everything. They say they want a Christian Prince but what they actually want is a Caesar, and their Christian Nation would be at least as decadent as Imperial Rome.

45 Likes

Sounds like they’re just afraid of sex.

22 Likes

Send money, lots of money, do what they tell you and keep your mouth shut.

14 Likes

Can anyone remind me of how many times god is mentioned in the Constitution?

24 Likes

Was this the Constitution written by We The Deists?

14 Likes

Christian Nationalists want white Christian conservative minority domination over the majority and what they will do with that domination is a hundred times scarier then the way they behave toward their contemporaries when their minority status only allows them equality.

23 Likes

Why, yes it was.

4 Likes

Religion was created as a tool for control of the poor and/or weak-minded.

Same as it ever was…

11 Likes

I’ve got an even more succinct answer to the lede’s rhetorical question:

A: Our deaths.

11 Likes

1 / They want secular Power and to display their ignorance and racism without shame and to lord over The Other (who they know are not really inferior but the illusion of that exalts).

2 / They want to give their (perceived) Tribe all of the secular goodies left in the ashes of America. (Nobody really wants to pray more.)

3 / They want to conquer (with guns, beatings, jail) the many subsequent Christian Nationalist Splinter Groups that would result in any Power politics they think they are managing. (How else to explain all of the many flavors of evangelicalism that are extant now?)

14 Likes

IMG_5620

62 Likes

Descartes wants a word with you.

3 Likes

Boy, it will be wild the day they try to replace all the stuff they see as “secular humanism” in the public square. The earth is only 6000 years old! We don’t need vaccines! No divorce and no birth control!

It will be like prohibition, but it won’t even last as long.

16 Likes

“We don’t like that people are abandoning our religion so we aim to force it on everyone”

IIRC, forced conversions were Phase I of what eventually became the Spanish Inquisition

23 Likes

“If your god is telling you what to do - that’s great, I’m really happy for you…but if it starts telling you to tell me what to do, then we’re going to have a problem.” Cheryl Wheeler

31 Likes

Peak eclipse is sort of minimal out here…

I mean, peak “God bit the sun like it was a cookie, but then healed the cookie.”

15 Likes

Next time I see this guy in the DC area, I’m gonna grab him by the lapels and say, “Where’s my tax return, you bastard?!”

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available