WH Issues Vaccine And Mask Requirements As Delta Variant Prompts COVID Surge | Talking Points Memo

I am so pleased to see the vaccine mandates…but it takes six weeks from first jab to full immunity. A mask mandate, while less effective overall, has that effectiveness from day one.

So, vaccination mandate to protect us long term and a mask mandate to protect us while we get there. Works for me.

3 Likes

“I swear at this point Republicans are actively being this stupid.”

Republicans don’t even have to be active. They’re stupid even when they’re lying down.

4 Likes

I can go for ground.

2 Likes

Besides politicizing the vaccine, Republicans have also politicized being smart.

Can’t be smart because liberals are smart.

Own the libs by being stupid.

7 Likes

Someone should put Vaccine in the Flavor aid…

1 Like

Science magazine has a nice write up. The FDA has had the application for ages -“ Pfizer and Moderna both received an EUA in December 2020; J&J’s came in February. Based on the real-world data they have collected since then, Pfizer applied to FDA for full approval in early May, and Moderna on 1 June. J&J is expected to follow soon

On 16 July, FDA accepted Pfizer’s application “under priority review”—meaning it will move faster than during standard reviews, which typically take at least 10 months; the agency now has until January 2022 to review the materials”

I wish they would get a move on. This is a bit more important than approving an Alzheimer’s drug that doesn’t actually work. This quote from the article sums up my thinking, although I am neither an infectious disease doc nor in public health

“I think it’s fair to say that any number of us who are clinical infectious disease doctors and in public health are frankly a little surprised at how long the process is taking,” says William Schaffner, professor of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

“I want [FDA] to be careful. I also want them to move it along,” Schaffner says. “Frankly, I’d like them to work on the weekends. The people who are vaccinating are working on the weekends. The virus is working on the weekends.”

4 Likes

I swear that since we had mask mandates I was good, but then they went away and I still wore my mask. I got my second shot in the beginning of May, kept my mask on all through May, and then I tried going into stores without it, that lasted one trip. I put the mask back on ever since.
When I heard that fully vaccinated people could carry the virus I thought well I’ve worn it this long, it won’t kill me to wear it longer. And then the Delta variant has run rampant in my state, and was traveling up highway 44 from the SW then it just makes sense.

7 Likes

We need to tie the resurgence to where it belongs, the unvaccinated. They tie that to where it belongs. Fox/Republicans.

The same crew that stewed the insurrection.

Without voting reform Biden goes down in history as the Next Buchanan for not averting whatever it is a 2nd Trump term would bring

And really that will be Manchin/Sinema’s doing

2 Likes

Oh I tweeted at Eric Schmitt MO AG that despite having gone to a very good Jesuit HS, college, and also having a JD he’s stupid about science. Here I am, I went to public HS and state college with a degree in Parks and Rec and I have a better understanding of the science than he does.
I know that he’s not stupid, so it’s willful stubbornness. His ‘freedumb’ is more important than anyone else’s life. Not a philosophy I want in someone who is an elected official.

2 Likes

Oh. Burn.

18 Likes

Hope this is correct. It would be a good start.

3 Likes

Sadly, Republicans do not understand irony, nor the science of experiments… so this clever tweet is lost to the world when it really should be the headline of every news site for a week

6 Likes

I heard reporting last night that Sinema is still clinging to the filibuster because we may be back in the minority one day. Well yes dear that’s true, but without federal level voting rights we’ll be back in the minority and McConnell or his replacement will kill it day 1. Has no one sat her and Machin down and had “the talk” with them?

4 Likes

Schumer should bring them to his office and say…

“Filibuster goes, or your committee assignments go. I’ll need an answer by Friday.”

Then the DNC needs to call them both and note they will be cut off depending on their answer.

If Manchin Bails, so be it.

3 Likes

Yep. Why spread the misery when we can be careful about it.

3 Likes

These are about the same rules universities (including mine) had already come down on…people had to be vaccinated or they would be tested in the fall semester. Mask mandates had lifted, but they are back now on my campus if you’re in public indoor areas. And, I work at a university that’s at least 90% vaccine compliant…it’s too bad everyone else isn’t taking this as seriously.

In LA county, people are back to masking, for the most part…there are still a few assholes who are insisting on not wearing a mask indoors, but everyone else is doing their part. It’s just mind boggling that people are choosing a 1 in 100 chance at dying, and not even wearing a mask to protect themselves a little bit, instead of getting vaccinated and wearing a mask…I guess the only hope is the virus goes crazy in the red areas and shows them the error of their ways and they actually start behaving like adults.

3 Likes

And worse. This is all prelude to worse.

In terms of the just in case attitude with Manchin and Sinema, I equate that to someone with a savings account that they never touch no matter how dire the situation is. They will let a person die in lieu of backing that big operation to save a life because you never know what else can come down the line. So it just sits. Waiting for rainy day and then a rainier rainy day and so on. Basically considering the context of today, this is the absolute rainy day, the patient is in prep and everyone is waiting for them to get off their respective asses and do something. Which is why I am so damn suspicious of what they are doing or in this case, not doing.

5 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

I prefer the term idiots
but I take your point

2 Likes

Here is my pitch to those who won’t Mask

The government and corporations are photographing and taping you from the moment you leave your house man.
I were a mask so facial recognition technology can’t be used to identify me to the deep state.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available