WH Issues Vaccine And Mask Requirements As Delta Variant Prompts COVID Surge | Talking Points Memo

The White House on Tuesday moved to require vaccinations for all federal employees and contractors, as well as mask mandates for all visitors to the campus regardless of vaccination status as the Delta variant spreads nationwide causing a spike in COVID-19 infections, especially amongst the unvaccinated.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1382572

Good. It’s time to stop coddling the vaccine skeptics.

31 Likes

Imagine how many could have been saved if Trump and other GQP leadership had done the same 18 months ago.

20 Likes

We could have been damn near finished with this.

15 Likes

Cue the Death Cults to scream “Communism!” and “Freedumb!”

12 Likes

We never needed mandates when Trump was president!

9 Likes

Or more completely ironic comparisons to fascism.

4 Likes

If he would have it would have saved him.

12 Likes

4 Likes

Coronavirus is now mostly a Republican disease. It’s all part of God’s plan.

11 Likes

Depressing was going to the grocery store and realizing that while the news is telling us one thing, people are going the other direction. Far less masking today than even a week ago.

I have given up my plans for traveling completely this year as well. I think this country is about to learn a hard lesson and I do not want myself, my wife or friends to be collateral damage to some really dumbass thinking.

14 Likes

Maliciousness for the sake of maliciousness. Still hard to believe this can grip a large demographic and become a signature trait. The illogic of it transcends all the individual rationalizations that might be applied. It exists to exist now.

10 Likes

Thank goodness he is who he is because just about any other president would have been able to ride an easy wave to re-election from even pretending to care about COVID. Can you imagine what the media fawning would have been?

6 Likes

The school year is starting. For the third semester in a fucking row, we have a mask mandate. Among a select minority, skepticism over science and sense must make life shitty for everyone.

3 Likes

I think it’s hard to overstate how much more the vaccination requirements matter than the mask mandates. It’s like handing a guy a bazooka and a pen knife.

4 Likes

I get this. But you need to trust your own instincts. Be smart, be proactive, be responsive. I trust you. You’ve got this! In the middle of last year I flew, travelled, two major cross country road trips. I was safe, careful, and COVID-free. If I could do it, you can too!!

4 Likes

The President does not plan to require vaccinations on the U.S. military currently.

I’m honestly shocked this isn’t already the case, just from the DOD. Military personnel might have to pick up and be someplace in under 48h. You don’t want that complicated by ‘gosh, there’s an outbreak there and half our brigade’s not vaxxed’. And it’s not like they can pull the anti-vax ‘my body’ nonsense: you sign that shit away when you sign up. The DOD can mandate whatever the hell they want, medication-wise, and if the entire US military were vaccinated, it’d shut down a LOT of the anti-vax bullshit: either it’s perfectly safe, or those guys you think will be on your side are controlled by microchips now, MAGAts!

7 Likes

Maybe we need to have CDC pushing on this story:

Contrary to myths circulating on social media, COVID-19 vaccines do not cause erectile dysfunction and male infertility.

What is true: SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, poses a risk for both disorders.

12 Likes

Not to mention how incredibly unsexy breathing tubes are.

9 Likes

I read yesterday it can cause a decrease in IQ by as much as 7 points.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available