WH Dodges On Trump School Funding Cut

Two reactions: if Trump and Pence think the institutions of schools are so critically important how do they explain their strong support for in-home education or home-schooling? And second, if they are demanding that schools open, while meeting even the ridiculously modified now White House cum CDC guidelines, doesn’t that smack of those horrible un-funded mandates republicans find totally odious?

7 Likes

…and I’ve said numerous times:

States Rights.

Lordy, that still feels good.

13 Likes

:rofl:

It does and who would have thought it? hahahaha

7 Likes

Sometimes it is just better to ignore this stuff. Federal funding for education has been dropping for years, as has state funding. Most school districts derive 85%+ of their operating budgets from local taxes. Trump has ZERO authority to tell a School Board what to do. Given he was an SAT cheat, he has no moral authority either. He should just shut up and go away.

17 Likes

Unfortunately, looking for any kind of leadership from Donald Trump is a truly futile endeavor. Not only is he incapable of leading he clearly has no interest in leadership unless it will enrich himself and/or build his ego.

Perhaps, as our country progressively slides toward the abyss because of Trumps inaction and misguided policies and decisions, there might be someone with enough influence to persuade Donnie to resign, or persuade those who can to remove him, but I am not holding my breath.

1 Like

It’s my “Fuck You” you stupid fucks.

4 Likes

The federal government spends too little on public primary and secondary education anyway.

5 Likes

Trump is making everything possible for us to have a national teachers strike to go along with our race riots(*).

(*) I am aware it was the cops that were doing the rioting, but they were doing it out of racism, so it count as “race riots”

6 Likes

Now tell Barr that. :unamused:

2 Likes

Pence on schools reopening: "The best expert I know on this topic is my wife, Karen."

— Eliza Relman (@eliza_relman) July 8, 2020
5 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

So “Mother” is a Karen?

13 Likes

The best expert on anything is his wife, Mother.

Yuck.

4 Likes

If you look closely enough, you can see the ring in his nose.

4 Likes

Which, in this case, isn’t such a good thing. The differences between what a good district can spend and what a poor district can spend is why we continue to have such massive educational disparities. Rather than allowing states and local districts to waste money on charter schools, we need to boost staff and resources as struggling schools.

2 Likes

I suspect that Bill Barr is angling for the same “suffering hero of faith” award that Mel Gibson has been angling for over the years.

3 Likes

“You must sacrifice your children because nobody likes me! Argle bargle… Daaaaady!” chokes on hamberder.
Fuck this guy,

6 Likes

Odds are he doesn’t have any idea what percentage of funding comes from federal funding. It’s roughly 8%. If I remember my finance classes, the issue is that these funds go toward special education funding (but does not cover it all, especially if a district has large numbers of students with special needs). These services are mandatory whether or not you have the funding to cover them, so that 8% would come out of funding from state and local sources.
But…it might be fun to start Tweeting about how he is threatening to cut services to special needs students.

6 Likes

This was a question that popped in my head as soon as I heard the Orange Gasbag threaten to cut off federal funding for schools.

School funding is largely a product of local taxes (jesus, I sure know that with my school taxes). It would be great if the Feds equalized rich and poor schools, and they do do to some small extent, but not in the manner of the Trump/Pence/FauxNews threats.

Blow it out your ass, Devos and Trump. Schools will open on their own terms, likely staggered in-person classes with others rotating through the internet (if they have it).

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/BrianKarem/status/1280972765793792004

NOW: My question - If it’s safe to send kids back to school is it safe to send Manafort back to prison. Walk off. No answer.

@realDonaldTrump

@PressSec

18 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available