Weeks After Abrupt Cancelation, Giuliani Testifies Before Jan. 6 Panel For Hours - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Like our own @sniffit and Fox.

5 Likes

All I can think about is all the marketing people I’ve known over the years who were obsessed and I mean obsessed with involving a celebrity in anything they did. It seemed to be the only thing they thought about, getting a D-lister celebrity involved in the campaign. I would assume it was some sort of public access situation myself.

8 Likes

By and large, these were good guys. Guys I would trust with the keys . Guys I would trust to pay me what they owe me.
Mostly good-natured. Every once in a while they’d hire some bitter old fart and the energy on the job would get uglier.

17 Likes

“…following his agreement to speak to the panel about matters outside of his conversations with former President Trump or other topics he viewed as protected by attorney-client privilege.”

More fucking horseshit. Please point to any other witness who gets to decide which questions he will or will not answer based on the witness’ opinion - and desire to save his own ass?

6 Likes

Excellent point. I’m a little surprised, actually, and pleased. But it makes sense, in an old-school way. I’d have always thought if a Congressional committee asks you to come in an talk to them, that’s a halfway serious situation you should respond to and not blow off like a punk. The people who did can be assumed to know that testifying is worse for them than any other option.

22 Likes

Four Seasons Total Landscaping.

24 Likes

But it’s his own show ferchrissake. Someone is paying for Rudy to be on the air for an hour.

5 Likes

I assume 2 of them are Kevin McCarthy and Jim Jordan. Who are the other 2?

4 Likes

“The sky has finally fallen. Always knew it would.”

12 Likes

Meadows? Bannon was called to testify, too, wasn’t he?

4 Likes

I wonder if and when Pennsylvania’s current insurrectionist Republican candidate for governor will stop blowing off his subpoena?

10 Likes

Sounds like you knew a lot of hacks. Hiring a celebrity is the perfect solution when you suck at your job and have zero ideas. You simply heap everything on the celebrity and if it fails, you just blame the celebrity for not fulfilling the contract or for not doing a very good job. Either way, you’re insulated and you get to live another day and fuck up yet another assignment.

3 Likes

I try to tell people this sometimes. They’re not all awful. Many are mostly OK, would lend you hedge clippers, help you fix the lawnmower. Good neighbors. They’ve just always perceived themselves as conservative, and this is what “conservatism” has become, and it happened gradually enough they didn’t see it. They were shocked by the assault on the Capitol because they’re mostly the same people they always were. Deeply ignorant about important stuff, lacking in other ways, but not as bad as people think if they don’t know anybody like that.

28 Likes

I also know a lot of excellent, sensible marketing people. They’ll make you better known, and bring in business, and do it by highlighting your inherent strengths. But there’s definitely that other subset. And they weren’t exclusively on the fringes, either.

9 Likes

I’m going to guess you missed this part of the story:

“It is unclear what Giuliani disclosed to the committee, following his agreement to speak to the panel about matters outside of his conversations with former President Trump or other topics he viewed as protected by attorney-client privilege.”

So Ghouliani testified to what, exactly? He didn’t answer any questions about his conversations with Fat Boy, or any other topic HE deemed covered by privilege. In other words, he avoided talking about January 6th AT ALL, or the specific conversations in which they plotted the coup. But, yeah, you enjoy your pyrrhic victory. Because now the creep is bullet proof in the press. He can claim he “came clean” and the committee “found nothing” even though he didn’t reveal shit. But, please, go ahead and take your victory lap.

1 Like

If Rudy weren’t such a malign figure, one would almost be tempted to have some pity for what he has revealed about who he has always been.

15 Likes

In my experience, the former are the exception, while the latter are the rule.

“Can we show people enjoying the product?” I always wanted to say, “Nah, I think we should show people having an orgasm over your stupid [INSERT PRODUCT HERE].”

1 Like

And Bill Barr is cooperating with the committee, too.

I have the distinct impression that the televised hearings are going to be lit in such a way that even a lot of every-day Republicans are going to be repulsed by what was done to subvert the election and our republic.

26 Likes

They questioned him, and he answered in some manner, for seven hours. Also, you went straight from “It is unclear what Giuliani disclosed to the committee" to asserting he answered nothing of any use at all (for seven hours), and he’s now somehow bulletproof in the press.

15 Likes

Jordan and McCarthy haven’t officially refused yet. But this is from the article.

“Thus far, the committee and the House itself recommended contempt charges for four figures in Trump’s inner circle who continue to defy the panel’s subpoenas: Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, in addition to White House advisers Peter Navarro and Dan Scavino.”

21 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available