‘We Have Our Whole Lives Here’: Students Weigh Studying In Person Vs. Losing Visas | Talking Points Memo

PHOENIX (AP) — International students worried about a new immigration policy that could potentially cost them their visas say they feel stuck between being unnecessarily exposed during the coronavirus pandemic and being able to finish their studies in America.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1319817
1 Like

The mit/Harvard Case filed in Boston landed before judge Allison buroughes, who is an Obama appointee. She was the judge in the Harvard admissions case finding Harvard’s admission did not discriminate against Asians in using affirmative action (what impacted them she found was legacy admissions for white people).

She said she would rule by July 15, which is the date when the rule is supposed to go into effect. Doj evidently said that was too short of a time to decide, and she told them it was their rule, they imposed it, they having created the time pressure, were not going to get any delay from her.

My guess is she hands the us government their head on a platter.

This is perhaps the worst APA violation I have ever seen.

Basically some neo nazi at INS is doing what he thinks trump wants (re-opening the economy) with zero thought about what has to be done before a decision is made.

19 Likes

Cuccinelli’s squeeze play to force opening of universities. If these students have to attend in person, let’s suggest that Manafort has to go back to prison? I’m just saying. This is theatre of the absurd writ large.

7 Likes

This whole governing by vengeance thing is really getting old.

11 Likes

ABC/iposos, today. Trump at 33% approval on Covid-19, 67% disapproval. On race relations, he is at 32% approval.

His crazy is costing him the “but he is a businessman, the economy is good” voter. They are not coming back.

Turns out shooting people on 5Th Avenue will cost you voters.

9 Likes

It is creating chaos at American universities with substantial populations of international students. Several of my grad students have contacted me, in distress over what they should do about their leases for next year, what happens to the GA/TA services they provide in exchange for financial aid, how they can be assured they would be able to return in January if classes resume in person, etc. We faculty got new requests to redefine (for the 4th time) how we might offer instruction - especially whether we might include an in-person component safely. Not only is this a move to force colleges to do what Trump wants to bolster his “schools should open” mandate, but I heard someone effectively argue that Trump may also be financially punishing university towns (You know, those “liberal cesspools”) that typically support Democrats.

11 Likes

Hey, none of them can vote, so what do Republicans care. They can die here or die at home. Their choice.

1 Like

He’s broken everything else, why would colleges be exempt?

Incidentally, this is why he was elected. People who elected him wanted things broken. The only thing that’s surprising is his sudden unpopularity.

4 Likes

It is just cellucci fluffing trump. Trying to do his part to reopen the economy. In trump’s disfunctal bubble this is what counts as action. No second order thinking going on.

This order has zero, and I mean zero, chance of being upheld by judge boroughes. It is facially a violation of the apa. Substantively it is arbitrary and capricious.

I have been telling those who are impacted by this that it will be swiftly reversed. I would just sit tight. The court promised and will give quick action.

Jeepers, President Biden sure has his work cut out for him…

5 Likes

Dumping this kind of uncertainty on foreign students is really unfair, they are usually on the very low end of the economic pole, scraping by on depending on loans and scholarships to stay in school here. They come here because of the promise of having a degree from the best universities in the world, and perhaps at a chance to continue working here and making their lives in the US. That has made such a difference in the US economy and technological standing, and helped the world improve overall as well…even students that go back home help to improve their nations.

There is a good chance that good feeling will be gone after this, students who are chased out of the nation won’t be coming back, they can’t trust us. If this does get stopped (which it really should be, the rule making appears to be lawless), they will still wonder how long until something else is done to eject them. High school students overseas are going to be more likely to go to other nations instead of coming here.

Now, the drastic change with the arrival of a Biden administration, but hopefully a repaired immigration system from a Democratic Congress will make it so things like this can’t happen again. But, there’s no guarantee a President Cotton won’t shut everything down again, and foreign students will now, for the first time, have to consider the capriciousness of the government in place, and which one might be elected before they finish their degree, to decide whether to become students here. It’s not going to help recruit students here for many years, which was probably the intent of the racist policy change.

8 Likes

This is such pointless cruelty. There’s nothing positive this achieves beyond punishing universities that attempt to protect their students – and faculty – from endangering their health. It is wanton punishment pure and simple.

8 Likes

I just hope you are right.

(And only a small part of my hope is that one of my cases is before Judge Burroughs and will be held up by this.)

3 Likes

President Donald Trump has insisted they return to in-person instruction as soon as possible, alleging that schools are being kept closed to harm the economy and make him look bad.

So DoJ how fast can you pull a rabbit out of your ass?

3 Likes

I hope she hands them both head and ass.

That would be Grand Wizard KKKuch:

3 Likes

And maybe demand that Cuccinelli and S. Miller move their offices into the nearest ICE detention center. Who’s afraid of little virus, punks?

3 Likes

Well they wanted him to break things for those people, not their jobs, finances, and health.

2 Likes

I see the greasy fingers of Steven Miller all over this. Once again, the cruelty is the point.

5 Likes

Yeah this foreign student just came here, got his education, and then did nothing to help America or Americans.

6 Likes

MEANWHILE…on the topic of higher education. donnie is tweetin’ on it:

Too many Universities and School Systems are about Radical Left Indoctrination, not Education. Therefore, I am telling the Treasury Department to re-examine their Tax-Exempt Status…
and/or Funding, which will be taken away if this Propaganda or Act Against Public Policy continues. Our children must be Educated, not Indoctrinated!

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available