‘We Have Our Whole Lives Here’: Students Weigh Studying In Person Vs. Losing Visas | Talking Points Memo

It’s a pity Congress didn’t write “wanton cruelty” into the APA along with “arbitrary and capricious”.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s going to be tough. I mean, ideally, in dire circumstances like this you would want to have someone coming in who has actual experience with a new administration coming in at the heels of a completely disastrous preceding one, with the global economy in tatters and foreign policy disasters galore. But it’s nearly impossible to find a candidate like that.

Oh, wait …

5 Likes

I imagine this is just a flash in the pan. Donnie doubtless heard someone refer to “liberal arts colleges” and took it literally: “There are places people go to learn to be liberals? We’ll put a stop to that!” Someone will explain it to him in words of one and two syllables and give him a big slice of chocolate cake with two scoops of ice cream and he’ll have forgotten about it in a day or two.

1 Like

That is the heart of this madness. There is no logical reason to kick I-Students out of the country. They are a cash cow for universities, provide cutting-edge research, hugely upset personal lives (and I assume piss off friends and professional associates of I-S) for no apparent reason.

What are the positives for this ill-conceived action, other than racism and xenophobia?

7 Likes

The Trump admin wants to break public education (both higher ed AND K-12) and this is the big push. Force schools, families, and teachers into an impossible choice set, let the acrimony spread, induce chaos. Repeat as necessary.

Unfortunately, this is an easy task for creative people with evil minds who can pull the levers of power.

2 Likes

And today’s edition of “How to Be More Cruel and Evil to Immigrants”:

Yes, stop printing green cards, and, hey presto! You’re illegal!

Some of the missing green cards are for immigrants newly approved for legal permanent residency. Others are for existing permanent residents who periodically must renew their identity cards, which expire every 10 years but sometimes must be replaced sooner (for example, if lost). These immigrants have completed every interview, required biometric assessment, cleared other hurdles — and often waited years for these critical credentials…

The Immigration and Nationality Act requires every adult legal permanent resident to carry their green card “at all times.” Failing to carry it is a misdemeanor, subject to jail time or fines. Immigrants must also show their green card to apply for jobs, travel or reenter the United States

4 Likes

Many other positives besides those two if the actual goal is to break public education.

In Virginia he’s known as “Trans-vaginal ultrasound” Cooch

2 Likes

“We Have Our Whole Lives Here”

So do we.

sigh

War is Peace.
Slavery is Freedom.
Ignorance is Strength.

They are just openly spouting newspeak at this point.

1 Like

What will not love him, must be destroyed.

That’s the key to literally every policy and position and utterance that has come out of that turd-head.

2 Likes

Defund universities, then fewer people get degrees, then there are fewer college-educated Americans who vote Democrat.
Next: Defund high schools! Lower the child labor age to 14!
MAGA!

Oh, it is absolutely meant to keep “foreigners” out of our schools. Even though their money is basically subsidizing American students, and on top of that, bringing them here has been a big source of American strength, skimming the best and the brightest of the world into our one country.

This administration’s plan has been to prevent foreign students from coming in, prevent American companies from hiring said students as they graduate, and eliminate any other path for educated immigrants to bring their skills and expertise to the US.

Not incidentally, this is going to cripple our health system, at a time when we need new doctors and nurses the most.

3 Likes

And King Donald’s spiral into madness continues. Now twitter-threatening the tax exempt status of schools and universities for their disobedience to His Majesty.

1 Like

At least when Original Nixon was wandering the halls of the white house drunk and rambling at the paintings, he didn’t do it in public.

2 Likes

Anyone who talks about the coming election in BothSiderist/HorseRace/Anything-can-happen fashion is a danger to this Republic.

Trump must be removed…resignation or 40+ state loss on Nov.

If its a “close” election, he’s got tools for that.

I still hear the businessman bull Phucky around here TN East TN.

2 Likes

Is East TN really a place? I thought it was just an invention of the movie Deliverance? :wink:

(Sorry could not resist. I spent some time in Knoxville, a very beautiful town BTB)

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available