WATCH LIVE: House Voting To Impeach Trump For Inciting Capitol Insurrection Mob | Talking Points Memo

President Trump is expected to be impeached for a second time Wednesday, as the House votes on whether to remove him for his roll in egging on a violent mob on the Capitol.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1354263
1 Like

He needs far more than impeachment. He needs to be arrested, charged, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

21 Likes

Game. On.

Rep. McGovern (D-MA) spitting facts.

“Every day Donald Trump is in the White House, our nation is in danger.”

Rep. Cole (R-OK) spitting up.

“It’s unfortunate the path to support healing is not the path chosen by the majority in the House today.”

24 Likes

I’m at work and can’t watch, so I expect all my fine friends at TPM to keep me informed.

Thank you all in advance!

26 Likes

24 Likes

Rep. Cole - we have not had the opportunity to view any evidence. We have not been given the opportunity to speak with any witness.

Witnesses? Everybody in the chamber, including you. Evidence? Are you claiming you haven’t heard the pre-riot rally? Fine, let’s play it and then watch the response.

Done.

37 Likes

Baby steps.

7 Likes

I’m perfectly willing for the nation to heal and for divisions to lessen …

After accountability, after impeachment, after conviction in the Senate, after all the facts come out about Trump and all who were involved in the insurrection, after Republicans start telling their followers the truth.

And, as we heal, let the investigations and prosecutions of Trump and his crime family continue.

We can’t heal and mend divisions if we all don’t know the truth and have a common set of facts and sense of reality. Here’s to proper and effective healing.

30 Likes

Just don’t be too surprised when the punning starts.

16 Likes

Joe Manchin who I brought up on a thread last weekhe didn;t disappoint.siding with the GOP as expected and predicted .

And as far as Johnathan Turley and his" opinion" on impeachment.

A repost

8 Likes

Steny Hoyer powerfully wielding a barbed-wire Liz Cheney.

BUT I WANT TO REFERENCE THE REMARKS OF THE CHAIR OF THE REPUBLICAN CONFERENCE, WHICH IS THE ANALOGUE TO THE DEMOCRATIC CAUCUS. IT IS ALL THE REPUBLICANS ELECTED TO THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES, AND THEY ELECTED LIZ CHENEY, THE DAUGHTER OF THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. THE FORMER WHIP OF THIS HOUSE, DICK CHENEY, WITH WHOM I SERVED IN THE 1980’S. REPRESENTATIVE CHENEY FROM WYOMING, A CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN, SAID THIS.

“THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES SUMMONED THE MOB, ASSEMBLED THE MOB, AND LIT THE FLAME OF THIS ATTACK.”

THAT IS NOT SOME IRRESPONSIBLE NEW MEMBER OF THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES. THIS IS THE DAUGHTER OF THE FORMER REPUBLICAN WHIP AND FORMER VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. SHE KNOWS OF WHAT SHE SPEAKS, AND SHE SAID THIS AS WELL. THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A GREATER BETRAYAL BY A PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF HIS OFFICE AND HIS OATH OF CONSTITUTION – TO THE CONSTITUTION.

THIS IS NOT, AS LIZ CHENEY SAID, JUST SOME ACTION. SHE CHARACTERIZED IT AS THE BIGGEST BETRAYAL OF ANY PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IN OUR HISTORY. MR. JOHN KATKO, NOT A BACK BENCH REPUBLICAN WHO JUST GOT HERE AND DOESN’T KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON. MR. JOHN KATKO, WHO IS THE RANKING REPUBLICAN ON THE HOMELAND SECURITY COMMITTEE SAYS THIS – TO ALLOW THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES TO INCITE THIS ATTACK WITHOUT CONSEQUENCES IS A DIRECT THREAT TO THE FUTURE OF DEMOCRACY. THIS IS NOT SOME BACK-BENCHER ON YOUR SIDE OF THE AISLE – ON THEIR SIDE OF THE AISLE, MR. SPEAKER. IT REFLECTS THE SENSE OF OUTRAGE, THE SENSE OF HISTORIC DISSIMILARITY FROM THE ACTIONS OF ANY PREVIOUS PRESIDENT. AND THEN, MR. ADAM KINZINGER, MEMBER OF THE COMMERCE COMMITTEE, A SENIOR MEMBER FROM ILLINOIS.

SO WE HAVE A MEMBER FROM WYOMING, A MEMBER FROM ILLINOIS, AND A MEMBER IN NEW YORK – FROM NEW YORK. THERE WILL BE OTHERS ON THIS VOTE WHO WILL JOIN THEM, AND MR. KINZINGER SAID THIS – IF THESE ACTIONS – HE HASN’T HAD ANY HEARINGS. HE DOESN’T NEED ANY LONG, DRAWN-OUT CONSIDERATION. IF THESE ACTIONS ARE NOT WORTHY OF IMPEACHMENT, THEN WHAT IS AN IMPEACHABLE OFFENSE? THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND THAT THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES BROKE HIS OATH AND INCITED THIS INSURRECTION.

ETA: Sorry for the ALL-CAPS, this is straight from the C-Span live transcript.

ETA²: Hoyer on FIRE :rage:

29 Likes

Thanks, Sen. Manchin, for giving cover to the seditionists in the house for their resistance to impeachment. Rep Cole has already referenced your statement that impeachment is ill-advised at this time as justification for not impeaching because it would be divisive.

11 Likes

That’s what Sen. Debbie Stabenow D-Michigan said yesterday…perhaps Niclole’s show on MSNBC … The messaging goes something like this:

“Yes, we must have healing and unity but it would be insincere without justice.”

21 Likes

Fyi, the destruction of the Trump crime family and his enablers most fully will be implemented outside the halls of Congress.

35 Likes

Yes! That’s what I’m talking about! Since I’m not able to watch, I want visuals. More visuals!

15 Likes

One of the D’s is refuting the GOP claim that the D’s are rushing to judgement. Factually accurate, but not revealing anything new.

7 Likes

I would suggest to TPM this might be a great candidate for a Live Blog.

This is going to be an all-day ‘bring your lunch’ affair and shouldn’t be limited to a one-off article. This is an historical event that will become the denouement of the Trump Administration reality show. Peoples’ careers could be ruined in all of this, depending on how they vote.

The event shouldn’t be limited to a one-off article.

@kelaine

18 Likes

Try this and you can go back and forth:

16 Likes

Got to leave a lot of front page space in case tRump has something to add. Watch as one nonsense statement after another from Rethugs appears.

6 Likes

Democrats should agree that we establish a bipartisan committee to investigate what happened. But not in lieu of impeachment. But in addition to it.

Rep. Jason Smith is the slimiest POS you can imagine. Crying “we are hurting if you do this”.

22 Likes