Walmart Was Almost Charged Criminally Over Opioids. Trump Appointees Killed the Indictment.

ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1299568
1 Like

Not surprised nor shocked.

Criminals covering each other’s asses.

28 Likes

A fine would not be a sufficient deterrent, the DEA’s Dhillon added, since Walmart “has more money than it knows what to do with.”

“Not that there’s anything wrong with that,” Rosenstein responded, according to five people familiar with the investigation. “We are all capitalists here.”

Sure we’re complicit in killing people and destroying families but hey - Capitalism, Baby!

17 Likes

OT

5 Likes

Not even surprised. If this kind of stuff is coming to light now it really lays out why Trump will do anything, including killing thousands of Americans, to keep power. He knows he and half of his administration are going to jail for many years if they are replaced with a Democrat.

17 Likes

Jackson Browne too. Still kind of remarkable to hear about celebrities getting in on the fun but I suppose that won’t last.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Half the nightly news amounts to dumb fucks and assholes – who are too stupid or entitled, respectively, to follow instructions – completely undermining everything responsible adults are working so hard to achieve.

Instead of the diversion from this reality that I desperately needed, I see instead that WalMart is just another really big asshole. No wonder the Rump House is sympathetic.

6 Likes

Walmart’s Chief Counsel is also fomer Trump Administration US Deputy Attorney General, Rachel Brand. She was in line to be the AG if Sessions and Rosenstein got fired, back when everyone was under the misapprehension that Rosenstein had integrity. She also, if I am not mistaken, appeared in a TV ad praising Neil Gorsuch when he was nominated by Moscow Typhoid Mitch to the seat stolen from President Obama and Merrick Garland by the Treasonous Scumbag Democracy Stealing and Killing GOP.

16 Likes

Imagine how pleased Sam must be with the way his progeny are handling his company

1 Like

This is a great “Merican” company. People should not badmouth a company that sends employees to the food stamp offices to apply. That pays zero or very little in taxes at the county, state and federal level. That founding members families employ undocumented and insist they are entitled. And there is much much much more about the great “Merican” company that we as citizens should be very proud of.

7 Likes

You forgot to add a company that takes over small towns and puts local businesses out of business. My nephew has worked at several, rising up in the ranks and now is a store manager.
No matter, have not, will not step a foot into one even if it’s the only toilet paper in town.

12 Likes

When I saw this story, I’m sorry to say that my first thought was ‘that may settle the succession question’.

Just another piece of evidence that Rosenstein is scum. The statute of limitations on their offenses will not have expired in 2021, this should be on the list of things-to-do for a Dem AG. There should be criminal prosecutions, prison time and massive fines for all those involved.

10 Likes

Hopefully this will lead to a mass of class actions on behalf of those who died from opioid subscriptions filled at Walmart. Let them drown in legal fees and judgments.

8 Likes

Save money, undermine Democracy.

Drug cartels are capitalists too.

2 Likes

Walmart has historically been willing to spend big money on aggressively defending itself. Gender discrimination. Failure to pay overtime. Seating issues. It’s baked into the business model precisely because it’s more profitable than being ethical.

17 Likes

I have long thought that the US war on drugs was simply a way to help Purdue Pharmacy maintain its opiod pharmacy.

A few weeks ago I went to the dentist for some work. I am pretty pain tolerant. When the procedure was over the dentist demanded that I take a script for some opiod or other. I told him I didn’t want it, but he insisted anyway. I took it from him. He seemed relieved like he had to shove the script into my hand. I never filled it.

The entire medical establishment seems to be beholden to the drug pushers from big Pharma.

2 Likes

the Walmart heirs now have a combined wealth of $163.2 billion, which is more than Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, and Warren Buffett. In fact, they are worth more than $70 billion more than the second-richest family in the United States, the Kochs.

oh how I wish I was born a walmart. lol
not really, probably been dead by 20. drugs, speed, alcohol and many other having fun items right up to the big crash. lol
Bit it is nice to have the DOJ in your christmas card list

1 Like

13 Likes