Wallace Blasts Trump For Media Attacks | Talking Points Memo

I don’t blame Wallace for being at Fox.
He could be anywhere.
His presence at Fox brings some light in the darkness.
We can’t lambast Fox for being hacks and then lambast the guy trying to do real journalism there.

“I think many of our colleagues see the President’s attacks, his constant bashing of the media as a rationale, as an excuse to cross the line themselves, to push back, and that is a big mistake,” Wallace said.

Uh-huh. Seems you inherited a lot from your dad, but he forgot to teach you anything about handling cheats and bullies. Crossing the line isn’t a big mistake. The big mistake is not pushing back

5 Likes

I liked all of your post, but this specific part made me think of some wise words from the past. See if you agree.

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth—persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

—John F. Kennedy

13 Likes

We are definitely through the looking glass when Faux Noise is expressing concern about a threat to the free press. Hypocrisy, thy name is Fox.

2 Likes

Wallace went on to say, “The network that employs me, Fox News, cannot be trusted. Do not believe a word that is uttered on this propaganda machine, as its only function is to mislead and fear monger, to the purpose of electing republicans and selling ad revenue.”

Oh whoops he didn’t say anything like that. Pity.

3 Likes

But Chris Wallace gets 1/3 the viewers that Hannity draws. Half of The Five viewers.
As he criticizes Trump, his numbers will keep dropping.
Generally, every time he says something reasonable, he will counter it later by following the Fox propaganda line on another subject.

2 Likes

Not me. He can die in a fire for spending his career in support of Faux News and what they have done and continue to do to this country. God bless Shep for leaving them, but I still refuse to respect him staying for so long. Good people with good intentions and a moral compass don’t enable that kind of knowingly malicious shit.

4 Likes

Which is what Tucker, Laura, and Sean are pushing 5 days a week, and on their podcasts. It’s opinion not reporting.
Now is MSNBC any better, I think so. Once again I point to the quality of guests, the source materials that they present, and the charts and graphs. Does the production/graphics staff at Fox know how to make charts and graphs?

2 Likes

And strangely enough, Fox and Limbaugh are the go to news/entertainment on military bases. Here and abroad.The biggest threat to democracy is what our military chooses. Google it.
It’s not just old, bitter assholes that watch/listen.

1 Like

Fox News host Chris Wallace didn’t mince words doubled-down on Fox’s bothsiderism while blasting President Trump for his attacks against the press

Better.

Wallace is still part of the problem. This speech does not make him part of the solution, no matter how much applause it (rightly) drew.

5 Likes

“Although I have my doubts about Carlson.”

Let me disabuse you of any doubts. He is an unremarkable lickspittle, trying to be relevant to an audience willing to believe anything.

5 Likes

Good thing we have pictures like this one to prove otherwise:

1 Like

Aw, come on, ask me a harder one. These questions are way too easy.

2 Likes

“I think many of our colleagues see the President’s attacks, his constant bashing of the media as a rationale, as an excuse to cross the line themselves, to push back, and that is a big mistake,” Wallace said.

I wasn’t planning on having any both-siderism for lunch, but I suppose with enough ketchup and melted cheese I can choke it down.

1 Like

When you are in the military, some things are not worth fighting over.

1 Like

How long did it take for Oedipus Tex to disappear from the GOP reality?

Let us face a broader reality. Trump has done everything he can to undercut not only the media, but to undercut law enforcement, the military, our security, voting rights, civility, health care, Congress, the courts etc. This “president” has done more to cripple and diminish our most important national institutions than any of his predecessors. It may take generations to repair the damage he has done and is continuing to do.

5 Likes

“I see it all the time on the front page of major newspapers and the lead of the evening news: fact mixed with opinion, buzzwords like ‘bombshell’ and ‘scandal’. The animus of the reporter and the editor as plain to see as the headline.”

Ah, the both siderism argument! Isn’t that what has gotten us into this mess in the first place, Chris? Your point seems to the that yes, Trump is an existential threat to democracy, but newspaper editors are just as bad for getting upset about it.

3 Likes

As I recall, it took about 2.5 years before anyone in the MSM actually said that Trump had told a lie. They used scores of euphemisms for 2.5 years before someone finally said, “Enough!” and called a lie, a lie. Screw what the MSM tries to pass off as “fair and balanced.” It’s nothing of the sort. It’s so damned lop-sided that truth is often buried under the heap and barely recognizable when it’s found and dusted off a bit for its public debut.

7 Likes

He doesn’t discuss the fawning of newsmen and women on his own network. Fox News efforts to ensure its viewers are kept in a bubble of ignorance is also a real problem he fails to mention.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available