Wallace Blasts Trump For Media Attacks | Talking Points Memo

Fox News host Chris Wallace didn’t mince words while blasting President Trump for his attacks against the press.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1267947

Wallace is throwing shade in the event that #45* is impeached Fox can claim “See? We were fair and balanced all along.”

6 Likes

I agree that fake news is a threat to our democracy. The sources of fake news are Fox, OAN, Limpdick, Insanity etc.

26 Likes

Yes Mr. Wallace, Woodward and Bernstein were so unnecessarily unfair to Richard Nixon. They are to blame for all the bad media behavior since. Sigh . . . . The journalism gene skipped a generation on this one.

6 Likes

I appreciate Wallace’s top-line message here and will toss him a chunk of respect for it, but for Christ’s sake is it a rule in his shop that if you say something that’s actually fair and balanced you have to toss in some shot at the libs to re-de-balance it if you can possibly manage? If you’re reading the words “scandal” and “bombshell” in the news it’s probably because the administration is so thoroughly corrupt and luridly awful that they’re very often the right words to use. This idea that thinking Trump did a bad thing is in itself evidence of disqualifying bias is pretty absurd, wingnuts, just saying.

46 Likes

Chris, quit working for a Russian/Republican propaganda agency and maybe you’ll get some credibility back. Until then, you are just a foil.

10 Likes

“I believe that President Trump is engaged in the most direct sustained assault on freedom of the press in our history,” Wallace said,

That would be Fox News simply because they carry Trump’s messaging for him, but yes, Trump is also at fault. Chris Wallace could do everyone a favor and leave, I’m sure CNN or another outlet would readily pick him up.

7 Likes

Sorry, Chris, but you’ve been complicit along with your other compatriots in de-fanging the press and the media.

Your father would be ashamed of you.

17 Likes

“I see it all the time on the front page of major newspapers and the lead of the evening news: fact mixed with opinion, buzzwords like ‘bombshell’ and ‘scandal’. The animus of the reporter and the editor as plain to see as the headline.”

Thank God Fox never does stuff like that.

24 Likes

Bravo.

Let’s keep pouring it on. I have no problem with Trumpers staying Trumpers. I’m looking the other way…towards us. Like you, I’ll take Wallace’s D-…for Now…

When Torch, the Invasion of North Africa, came about, not everyone was Sgt. Rock. The Allies got it together, and so will we.

8 Likes

“I see it all the time on the front page of major newspapers and the lead of the evening news: fact mixed with opinion, buzzwords like ‘bombshell’ and ‘scandal’. The animus of the reporter and the editor as plain to see as the headline.”

How about “blasts” or “scathing”?
I don’t think Wallace’s speech was either, but a headline has to have a hook.

7 Likes

“I see it all the time on the front page of major newspapers and the lead of the evening news: fact mixed with opinion, buzzwords like ‘bombshell’ and ‘scandal’.

I applaud Wallace’s comments, but has he ever browsed the home page of fox news?

12 Likes

It almost seems like some of the people at Fux News are beginning to have a crisis of conscience. Emphasis on almost

6 Likes

Fuck this article.

Give Faux News no extra air. Wallace may be babbling this right now but the entire network and its website are entirely devoted to constantly assisting Trump and the GOP tear down any other network that refuses to behave like Trump/GOP state media. Wallace and Faux News should get no credit on this subject while shit like this is also on their site today:

Every day, all day, they have a constant barrage of attacks on every other network, particularly CNN, that refuses to deliberately disinform the public on to serve the GOP and oligarchy’s joint agenda. Wallace is an enabler of it. Fuck him.

22 Likes

First they came for Mexicans, and I didn’t speak out, because Baja Sauce is murder on my GERD.

Then they came for BLM, and I didn’t speak out, because…well, you know…those people.

Then they came for journalists, and I had to speak out because – hello – paycheck!

(h/t Martin Niemöller)

31 Likes

Best one I heard from Steve Inskeep on NPR responding to a Republicans complaint about bias on NPR
“We report the facts. Consider, if you hear something about Mr Trump that upsets you it is something that he has actually done that displeases you, It is not our reporting”

18 Likes

Now if Obama could just push back.

If Chris looked a little deeper he would realize that 99% of his own network was peddling lies. Out and out lies. Joseph Gobbels type gas-lighting. Or as was written by another malignant narcissist:

“in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie”

The rest of the press has to get more emphatic (which Wallace attacks) precisely because Wallace’s part of the “press” is not acting as the press but as Republican Propagandists.

The old “let the facts speak for themselves, don’t comment on them” approach Wallace advocates only works when the entire media prints the facts, when parts are printing/broadcasting lies, then adjustments have to be made.

4 Likes

Classic. Disappointed with the monster he helped create.

13 Likes

We don’t have a 200-mile wide asteroid hurtling toward earth that we can objectively say:

“It’s coming at us.”

Although I have my doubts about Carlson. He wouldn’t believe it unless Trump (he of “Move Seoul 100 miles south!!” fame) told him it’s coming…

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available