Voting Rights Advocates Are Preparing To Protect Against Voter Intimidation At Polls | Talking Points Memo

You have a right to enter your voting facility.
You have a right to approach the registrar.
You have a right to request a ballot.
You have a right to get a ballot.
You have a right to complete a ballot.
You have a right to submit your ballot.
You have a right to see it counted the same as others.

2 Likes

Trump: “There are a couple senators I can’t really get involved in. I just can’t do it. You lose your soul if you do. I can’t help some of them. I don’t want to help some of them.”

This is called losing.

Don’t blame me, Republicans. I voted for the other guy.

5 Likes

Funny

2 Likes

Oops!

2 Likes

Ot but…RIP

1 Like

Push back against these clowns? I mean, is that an option? /s

…modus-fucking-operandi.

6 Likes

Sen. Lisa Murkowski still against the process but will vote to confirm Amy Coney Barrett because the battle is lost and she has no other good choice. Vacuous, waffling, duplicitous, gutless sycophant. Lindsey with a square jaw and high heels.

6 Likes

People need to get out and vote early. I voted Sept 29th and it was good.

3 Likes

“This sounds like a lot of fear-mongering by gun haters. They are always predicting that violence is going to break out. But like Chicken Little, they are always wrong,”

Huh? Isn’t it the gun fetishists who say they need the right to fondle ever more guns because they’re scared that violence will break out?

2 Likes

I’m waiting to hear Suzy’s speech to justify why she is going to vote yes also.
without mentioning McConnell’s name of course.
probably along the lines of she spoke with Barrett and she made promises to her about being fair and honest in all her decisions. some bs crap like that anyway.

5 Likes

In a Twitter thread, Behavioral Economist Alex Imas explained that while he was casting his ballot on the outskirts of Philadelphia County, PA Saturday, a parade of semis and other cars surrounded the polling place, laying on their horns.

“I arrived just as polling place opened. Short line. Thought I’d be in and out in 20 minutes tops. Even w/ this short line, it took 2+ hours,” he explained.

“Then the next Semi followed, then the 3rd,” he continued. “A motorcade of semis, jeeps, and a few sedans drove down the road. All honking. All flying Trump 2020 flags. With people yelling out the window. This motorcade snaked around the polling place the entire time I was there (2 hrs).”

Imus explained that a line of semis honking while people were standing in line was so loud that it made trying to vote a nightmare.

“Listening to this for hours is jarring,” he said. “Election officials, who were extremely professional, could not give instructions to people in line because no one could hear them. People covered their ears. At some point the people in line started yelling at the trucks. Some of which stopped, and started yelling back. There were enough police/officials to keep things from escalating. But all this being said: There is no telling what Nov 3 is going to be like. Vote early!”

Chances are these drivers could be charged with noise ordinances and even voter suppression attempts. It’s unknown why police didn’t take action to protect the voters.

6 Likes

6 Likes

I don’t see a rational reason to say this, and assume he’s in some mindless self-induced furor. If people took him seriously it could certainly help Harrison win. That can’t be the outcome he prefers.

To me she seems integrity-curious. She knows what’s right, and she’s intrigued by the idea of actually doing it, but it’s mostly an idle dream she’ll never sacrifice to make real.

7 Likes

A beauty of a description - ‘integrity curious’. Thanks matt. It’s just about perfect. Doesn’t it sadden you to see such a stark portrayal of the human as moral thinker vs the human as moral actor?

4 Likes

I’d call it poignant. At least she imagines a better version of herself. She sabotages the efforts to get there, but some part of her still wants to.

1 Like

The struggle rages within each of us, I think. But my years of counseling others, coupled with personal experience, tells me that a healthy person is sufficiently self aware to understand that a moment of crisis arises only occasionally when one cannot seem to easily move from thinker to actor mode because of extenuating circumstances that cloud the moral horizon. For example, when we know that making a choice based upon what we value could bring direct and personal harm to some other innocent and undeserving entity. (Cue the terrifying “freedom to choose” moment for women with abortion as a last resort.) Ordinarily, one seeks the best available counsel, spends time in reflection, makes a choice based on what one believes to be best, acts upon that choice, then agrees to live with the consequence of one’s action. But when there is torturous and conflicted flailing about as the norm of how one presents daily in either personal or professional life, it registers as dysfunction. I see Murkowski and Collins as dysfunctional.

4 Likes

That’s a good point. Everyone faces moments when they have to make difficult choices. But day to day most? people have a sense of who they are, what they will and will not do and so forth. In Murkowski’s defense, or at least in sympathy, the GOP has raised the stakes for any deviation, any dissent, to near-impossible levels.

2 Likes

I have empathy for her as a person, but still find the GOP-aligned behaviour reprehensible to an indefensible degree. She knows, as do they all, that an entire society thrives or suffers based upon their choices and actions. It’s inexcusable, really.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available