Vance Issues New Round Of Subpoenas Into Trump’s Seven Springs Estate | Talking Points Memo

Manhattan prosecutors have issued a fresh round of subpoenas in their probe of former President Donald Trump and his company aimed at his Westchester County development in upstate New York known as Seven Springs. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1364156
1 Like

Starting to think/hope the biggest mistake the former president ever made was becoming president. He and his shady practices are never going to withstand a millisecond’s scrutiny now that he doesn’t have the title. Popcorn farmers rejoice.

27 Likes

Westchester County is “upstate New York?”

11 Likes

I’d check, but that would entail asking for directions.

6 Likes

To be fair, the value of the estate could have temporarily jumped $250M+ if Junior’s dealer dropped off a package for him while he was upstate visiting the local bureaucrats.

7 Likes

More, please…

1 Like

Yes, just north of the city.
But, then, Donnie’s taxes were filed in the city (which has a local rate,) so it has jurisdiction.

3 Likes

Heh-indeedy.

2 Likes

In Illinois, anywhere outside the Chicago area is considered “downstate”

6 Likes

It is if you’re in Uganda.

3 Likes

You mean there is something north of Westchester?

9 Likes

The second (I won’t say “real”) scandal here is that this sort of rich-people-evade-the-law stuff happens all the time–and like Trump has done until now, they get away with it–while poor folks rot when they can’t make bail.

16 Likes

Uh, Albany, the Catskills, Saratoga and the Adirondacks. Beyond that, it’s all Canada.

8 Likes

Spot on. The bigger problem is that him buying a piece of property, then getting to own it but be basically paid to sit on it by “agreeing” to not develop it, is perfectly legal.

While the rest of us have a problem getting a permit to put up a shed in the backyard.

12 Likes

Opinions vary, but most people don’t consider Westchester County upstate New York. It’s not a hard and fast rule though.

6 Likes

IDK how people in KC refer to the land east of them, but in StL we refer to the lands west of us as out state, with the understanding that KC it not part of that description.

3 Likes

Dunno, but I’ve been in metropolitan NY for 40+ years and always took Westchester as upstate. I’ve never been corrected on my usage, that I recall.
It occurs to me it may be upstate because it is up river from here; although, that could just be a postfacto rationalization.

6 Likes

Or southern Illinois, if you’re from StL.

1 Like

Why isn’t Westchester two words, as in West Chester?

1 Like

Doubtless true, but then New Yorkers have a rather idiosyncratic view of the world.

14 Likes