Vance And Walz Will Face Off In VP Debate—Likely The Last Major National Campaign Event Before Election

Originally published at: Vance And Walz Will Face Off In VP Debate—Likely The Last Major National Campaign Event Before Election

Sen. JD Vance (R-OH) and Gov. Tim Walz (D-MN) are set to face off in New York City on Tuesday in the first and only scheduled vice presidential debate before the election. The 90-minute debate is set to start at 9 p.m. EST with “CBS Evening News” anchor and managing editor Norah O’Donnell and “Face…

While Vance is probably going to do better than Trump, Walz is a former teacher and knows how to deal with petulant boys. Let’s get out the popcorn.

46 Likes

And I don’t get the impression that old Tim is someone who gets rattled very easily.

ETA: Teacher, coach, and don’t forget long-serving senior non-com, too. I don’t expect that entitled, smug, self-satisfied little puke at the other podium to get very far with him.

29 Likes

I can’t see any long term ramifications from this debate.

“I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine, Senator you’re no Jack Kennedy”. This takedown in 1988 had no effect on that election.

14 Likes

If it seems that folks agree Walz won, Donald will get more desperate and wild…

18 Likes

Although one could argue that Joe Lieberman’s sternly-worded apology to Dick “Dick” Cheney during their 2000 Veep debate certainly didn’t help.

20 Likes

This statement has been thoroughly investigated and found to be:

14 Likes

I can no more subject myself to JV’s smarmfest than I could to Dump’s fetid spew, but I look forward to TPMers’ take on whatever happens.

26 Likes

Also unlike the presidential debates, tonight’s moderators will make no effort to fact check the candidates in real time.

In that case, this is probably a better moderator:

7 Likes

Posting here because it’s about Vance. Rachel Maddow had an important report last night. The video at the link below omits her opening account of Charles Rudolph Walgreen’s career as he expanded his original Walgreen’s Pharmacy (with soda fountain counter! his innovation) into an empire, got filthy rich, and became a supporter of fascists in the 1930’s. (One of Rachel’s Byzantine Empire numbers, but interesting in itself.) The video picks up where she describes how the 1930’s fascists (and their post-WW II quasi-respectable political heirs) attacked universities (they focused on the big-name, elite ones) as subversive (communist, promoting free love, blah blah). Then, instead of taking us to, say, Elise Stefanik’s committee hearings designed to humiliate three elite university’s presidents, Rachel takes us to Vance – to excerpts from an interview he did with a right-wing podcaster in which he expressed incredibly extreme views and proposals about elite universities (e.g., taxing and even seizing their endowments). Moving on from there, Vance extends those criticisms and proposals to businesses and corporations that are culturally liberal. As for eliminating the cultural and societal rot that the liberal radical elite running every source of power and authority in America have created, Vance cites Curtis Yarvin. A second video of this report (it automatically plays next) focuses on Curtis Yarvin – just incredible. Rachel is not sanguine that Vance will be asked about any of this at tonight’s debate.

36 Likes

I have a black and ginger pair, too! Cuties!

3 Likes

Agreed. Vance is not quite so pathological or compulsive as Trump, so Walz may not have such an easy time pushing his buttons.

That said, Vance keeps stepping on the rake of his own knowledge-resistant misogyny, like a hamster who has found the “cocaine-water” lever. Walz may have some luck if he tries, like Harris did, to hoist Vance on his own Cro-Magnon petard.

Tonight’s debate is brought to me by Jolly Time:

(books for scale and pretension)

29 Likes

It’s probably the last debate because Donnie is a chickenshit.

20 Likes

If Vance gets toasted the pressure will be on…

6 Likes

I saw this last night, too. Not surprised, but appalled.

This Yarvin cat is ridiculous and heinous. When discussing how to “fix” America: "You need a CEO and an actual CEO is what’s called a dictator. "

Here’s more on Yarvin:

27 Likes

Maybe we should be calling them “hosts” instead of “moderators” because it doesn’t sound like they plan on doing much moderating.

“Conveners”? “Enablers”? “Witnesses”?

28 Likes

Iam expecting a bunch of right wing biased questions and only controlling time when its about Walzs.

10 Likes

(checks calendar)

I see that today is a day ending in a “y”, so there may be something to what you say.

10 Likes

I wished he would be asked about this stuff but I’m not holding my breathe.

We are talking about CBS hosting the debate here.

5 Likes

Vance is just plain weird. :grinning:

5 Likes