UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson Returning To Work After COVID-19 Recovery | Talking Points Memo

LONDON (AP) — British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is returning to work after recovering from a coronavirus infection that put him in intensive care, with his government facing growing criticism over the deaths and disruption the virus has caused.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1306025

I’d love to see a photo of Fat Nixon with a “Protect Obamacare” placard in front of him.

Guess the COVID-45 shit’s not real til it happens to you.

8 Likes

I know every person is different but just how much can he return to work? My boss had a milder case than Johnson did and he is saying he still feels fatigued. He’s expecting to work a few hours each day this week when he returns.

9 Likes

Oh, goodie. Maybe now he’ll get serious about this pandemic, just like tRump has and get down to business.
SMH

(When he was mayor of London during the 2012 Olympics. I must’ve missed this spectacle at the time.)

So many clowns. So little laughter.

7 Likes

So basically the same as US.

The main difference is Johnson’s government explicitly and rather coherently made the decision to burn through to herd immunity by letting the bodies fall where they may – working poor and POC typically don’t vote Tory after all – but then chickened out whereas Trump’s government made the same decision implicitly and incoherently (as usual) with pretty much the same result except amplified rather than tempered by incompetence.

ETA: Note that, in the case of COVID-19, being late and sloppy is close enough to never as to make scant difference. Also note that the classist/racist assumptions underlying the implicit Conservative calculus is actually not that favorable given the demographic profile(s) of their typical voter; e.g., older, fatter, and less healthy than average.

8 Likes

Well, the good news is that getting Covid-19 is not a death sentence.
The bad news is that Boris Johnson is returning to work.

Sordid Sunday, everyone.

13 Likes

I’ve also read that it’s better to have Boris return to the helm than it is to keep Dominic Raab there.

4 Likes

Question is, of course, is he going to work or will his slotheth runneth over?

4 Likes

OT
Hey Jeff long time no hear from,but this makes up for that.

Did John Bolton Outfox Himself on His Own Tell-All Book?

7 Likes

Boris looks like it might be a long recovery. He looks like Boo Radley.
BooRadley
on a bad hair day.

4 Likes

Anyone could have told him how it was going to play out. He, of all people, should have known Trump would abuse his power to prevent publication of anything with a negative bias towards him. Hence, all the NDAs he’s used in his private and even public career.

In any case, I don’t think there’s a market for his book. Trump has conditioned Republicans to reject him and we Democrats never accepted him. Not to mention any information he may now have is several months too late.

Ignominious end to a disreputable career.

11 Likes

But hasn’t he always looked like Boo Radley?

2 Likes

He’s a little darker around the eyes these days.

3 Likes

With the more we are finding out about the effects of COVID-19 on those that recover I wonder when the Republican will start screaming that we must end Obamacare, which will end pre-existing conditions coverage, which some Republicans say they have a plan for, but have they published that plan?

You made me promises promises
Knowing I’d believe
Promises promises
You knew you’d never keep

2 Likes

Pretending to give a shit about the NHS has been part of BoJo’s schtick for years. It was the primary way they sold Brexit to The Dumbs in England, with the premise being that they would have much more money for health care if they didn’t have to prop up Brussels. It was always disingenuous, but The Dumbs are kind of dumb about that stuff.

11 Likes

Let’s hope so, he manages to pop up whenever the Repukes get control of the government.

4 Likes

But he is now on the public speaking gig, oh wait how is he going to make any $$$ when he can only talk to 10 people at one time and in one place?

5 Likes

Maybe Boris works as hard as Trump.:laughing:

3 Likes

Hopefully Boris will have a come to COVID-19 moment and do something constructive for his people.

Foolish virgin.

2 Likes