UK Ambassador Who Called Trump ‘Dysfunctional’ Resigns

Britain’s ambassador to the United States resigned following a tumultuous week of jabs from President Trump after memos he penned — in which he barraged the Trump administration — leaked to British media over the weekend.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1234286
1 Like

A couple of things are distressing about this:

One is, who leaked the documents with what intent, because the ambassador wasn’t wrong, just inappropriate?

Two, why is Trump’s reaction to this cause for a foreign government to release someone from employment? Is he now able to control foreign governments and their representation? Why did UK act so swiftly against someone merely telling the truth and getting a hatchet job against the ambassador at the same time?

Trump is already destroying our country. Is his mission to take down everyone else with us?

16 Likes

‘1600’ better hope that BoJo wins.

7 Likes

I guess trump will brag about it and believe he fired another enemy of the great one.

6 Likes

Yes. At least all the Western Liberal Democracies.

9 Likes

The GOP base is destroying the country. They voted for Trump and will gleefully vote for some future version of him down the road.

5 Likes

With the British Trump about to take office, maybe no ambassador will be needed during the rest of Trump’s tenure.

4 Likes

Part of the job is falling on your sword sometimes. The UK was in an impossible position otherwise – they couldn’t keep him there, because he couldn’t be effective, and they couldn’t fire him, because that would be kowtowing (like a dog!) to a foreign government.

18 Likes

The Truth has no place in this White House.

13 Likes

Tell the truth and it costs you your job in today’s world.
On a personal level I’ve been there as well. I lost a good paying job for being honest.
In this case I have great respect for that ambassador.and NONE for that thing who sits in the White House.
But who leaked the cables and why did they do it?

19 Likes

This seems like a heavy handed move by someone in the British government to oust Kim. This will have a chilling affect on future ambassadors being honest with their government.

6 Likes
26 Likes

Donnie will feel emboldened by this, misinterpreting why this happened.

5 Likes

Telling the truth about a despicable american RWNJ should not be a fireable offense.

Speaking of which, can we bring Martin Bashir back to msnbc?

4 Likes

Someone said on another thread that there was an article pointing at Farage as being involved. In other words, russian agents again.

16 Likes

Kim Darroch resigned as the leaks made his position impossible and Boris Johnson refused to back him in the Tory Leadership debate last night. This is normal behaviour for a loyal, honourable man when exposed in this way, and denied the support of (supposedly) the next Prime Minister (more reason to have him strung up by the toenails, but I digress). He wasn’t fired, although I am willing to wager a few pennies that Trump will gloat, preen and make out that he is top dog and will continue to get a free pass at calling him names and insulting the PM for today. However, we Brits don’t forget, and I assure you there is a contained and focused rage over this matter towards President Orang-utan over here. Vengeance will be ours.

22 Likes
8 Likes

So one guy tells the truth and resigns so as not to hurt his country while the guy who lies 24/7 stays in office continuing to destroy his country. There is something terribly wrong with this picture.

20 Likes

Indeed! This smells of Russian interference.

5 Likes

@becca656

10 Likes