TX Meeting Scandal Claims First Victim In Resigning GOP Chair

Texas state Republican caucus chairman Dustin Burrows, one of the three participants in a secretly recorded meeting that has thrown Texas Republicans into utter chaos, resigned Friday after refusing to speak out for the duration of the scandal.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1243436
1 Like

25 years of uninterrupted power has made the Texas GOP arrogant, stupid, and corrupt. Let’s hope Texas voters can teach them a lesson starting in 2020.

31 Likes

Does this mean he is resigning his position as leader or leaving the assembly altogether?

4 Likes

“The Texas Rangers are currently investigation the meeting, at the request of a bipartisan committee of lawmakers.”

The Houston Astros have refused to get involved.

32 Likes

As a native Texan, I remember the good old ‘bad old’ days BEFORE Tom DeLay gerrymandered the state red in an off year. May he burn in hell.

The blue tide can’t come too soon. By the Saints Molly, Barbara and Ann - may these bastards suffer .

34 Likes

Sounds like Bonnen should be charged with honest services bribery. This is what got former St. Louis County Executive Stenger 46 months in prison.

14 Likes

Lots of folks disparage Beto. But he has influenced this. He was great last week, and so long as we have good Senate candidates, his absence from the TX Senate race will not harm our efforts there.

He can, in fact, fill the same function in the 2020 National races as Obama did in 2018.

In terms of his future, I see Beto as a Cabinet member in the upcoming Democratic Presidency.

18 Likes

I’m truly surprised that any of these family values, conservative-principled Republicans bother to resign after being exposed as corrupt. You’d think in this Age of Trump they would wear that charge as a Medal of GOP Honor.

11 Likes

I’m enjoying the karma. Make a deal regarding press credentials with a “quasi-news site”, get outed by that same “quasi-news site”. You just have to be more honorable, but since honor is out, at least smarter than that.

13 Likes

Resigned his position as leader.

7 Likes

Money isn’t speech.

4 Likes

I miss Molly so much.

20 Likes

They’ve got more skeletons in their closet than Jeffrey Dahmer during ‘The Taste of Milwaukee’.

12 Likes

But the Dallas Cowboys are another matter that might Spur the discussions into Oiler waters…

9 Likes

Really, I thought they started that way.

10 Likes

"Forget it, Jake, it’s Texas!"

10 Likes

This just in (it didn’t come from me)

“The Moscow Mitch”

Russian Vodka
Kentucky Sour Mash
Twist of Orange Rind

16 Likes

And a good dash of “Corrupt Bitters!”

10 Likes

The Supreme Court begs to differ…

6 Likes

Q: A Texas Democrat is trapped in a hole with a rabid coyote, a rattlesnake and Tom DeLay. He has a pistol with only two bullets. What does he do?

A: He shoots DeLay twice.

20 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available