Trump Vows Action On Guns As He Praises NRA: They’ll Come Around

President Trump in one breath vowed to support background checks for gun sales, and in another praised his “great” relationship with the National Rifle Association.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1241598
1 Like

There’s been no president that feels more strongly about the Second Amendment than I do.

What is the direction of the feeling? Oh, I don’t know, whatever, but it’s definitely very strong (and big).

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

"I think in the end Wayne (LaPierre) and the NRA will either be there or maybe will be a little bit more neutral.”

Whatcha gonna do … negotiate with them?

“I understand it. It’s a slippery slope. They think you prove one thing and that leads to a lot of bad, I don’t agree with that. I think we can do meaningful …”

Now, who can argue with that?

11 Likes

Sorta on topic.

Twit for tat.

13 Likes

They WILL NEVER “come around”.

Go to a gun website and they are saying that “red flag” laws are a slippery slope to “gun grabbing”

Solutions?

Repeal the Dickey Amendment. Repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, Fund real Social Science research into the cost of gun violence to the US Government.

Raise excise taxes on bullets to pay for the cost of that violence.

No bullets, no bang.

4 Likes

What in high holy fuck… we’ll travel-warn against Japan ten times as hard! They’ll see!

10 Likes

What is the travel risk, Pokemon attack?
Pokemon Attack GIF

6 Likes

I’ll see your travel warning and raise you a travel ban.

And if that doesn’t do it, a travel war … with lots of tariffs and walls.

You’ll see.

6 Likes

“Trump was non-specific about the details of background check legislation that he would support …”

Gonna at least need a valid ID.

6 Likes

More lies, but then it is a day whose name ends with a “y.”

2 Likes

Why does anyone even pay attention to his incoherent babbling .
Fucker belongs in a memory care unit

13 Likes

Sure, they’ll come around. Absolutely.

They’ll come around and support a more authoritarian, more gun-frenzied candidate than he is. I suspect he’s lost something with this one.

FYI: I’m leaving today for the land down under for a week - Melbourne, AUS, to be exact. I’ll be on here, but it’s a massive time difference and I’m liable to be late to most parties.

6 Likes

" the NRA will either be there "

So Russia said Da?

1 Like

His fan boys are with him till death. They know he won’t actually do anything.

4 Likes

“It’s a slippery slope.”

Yes, it is. How long before they demand the right to carry grenade launchers to lunch?

2 Likes

Somedays yours is the shit hole country.

5 Likes

Well, I sure as hell can’t, mostly because I haven’t got the first inkling of WTF he’s trying to say…

:hot_face:

3 Likes

Trump: “I don’t care politically. I don’t want to have crazy people having guns.”

I don’t want to have a crazy person as President, yet here we are.

5 Likes

In the hospital wing of a federal prison.

6 Likes

And virile. Don’t forget virile.

2 Likes