Trump Turns WSJ Reporter Detained By Russia Into Re-Election Pawn

Trump Turns WSJ Reporter Detained By Russia Into Re-Election Pawn

Trump is merely following hallowed Republican tradition. This is exactly like October Surprise, when Reagan’s political operatives made a deal with envoys of Iran’s revolutionary council to hold off releasing 52 American hostages until after the 1980 election. Which Iran did: until the very hour of Reagan’s inauguration.

It also bears resemblance to the 1968 Chennault affair, where candidate Nixon used Anna Chennault as a go-between to keep South Vietnam from agreeing to any settlement of the Paris peace talks.

In all three cases, clear evidence of treason.

44 Likes

“No comment seems safest”

6 Likes

3,500 was the physical capacity of the park and there was also a cohort of protesters numbering in the hundreds. And yes, Fox is reporting 20-30,000 people showed up.

32 Likes

That was my very first thought, as well! Thank you for making that connection!

28 Likes

CBS could possibly just be speaking the literal truth.

5 Likes

This is reminiscent of Nixon’s efforts to torpedo peace talks in Vietnam and Reagan’s undermining of the Iran hostages’ release to get elected. The only difference is that TDFG is saying it live on TV.

32 Likes

That little set of headlines from CNN speaks for itself, doesn’t it? Our media isn’t failing us - they are steering the car straight into the median.

16 Likes

I’m curious as to what Evan Gershkovich’s employer, the WSJ, has to say about his TFG’s interloping? I’m sure all his efforts are appreciated.

13 Likes

“First”

You said cat  : - )

reckless

Donald Trump is reckless, and…

fascisting

My new word for the day. Thanks!

I refuse to believe that. There are more of us who will do the right thing than there are of those stupid fuckwads who will re-elect Voldemort.

18 Likes

13 Likes

But they attended!! They count!

Meanwhile, in Wisconsin -

Even TFG is complaining that protestors a block away are “too close!”

Secret Service and City of Milwaukee respond with “Meh. Too bad, so sad.”

30 Likes

To trump there is no difference between the country and himself… literally “the state is me”

“As to the larger picture, Trump remains a toady of Putin, an easily played neophyte in geopolitics who can’t distinguish his personal and political interests from the national interest. The GOP nominee for president happily places himself in the thrall of Putin, which was bad enough in 2016 and 2020 but now comes after Putin invaded and continues to occupy U.S. ally Ukraine.”

14 Likes

Sounds like a free speech stifling to me. I thought we didn’t like that.

5 Likes

Not at all true, the problem is not our values, the problem is that we’ve been too generous with our competition.

The bad faith arguments of the last 40 years by the GOP are only now being recognized and called out by the big D Democrats. You can’t win a one sided battle and that’s been our failure.

9 Likes

Happy Friday y’all. Apropos of nothing, except the infinite hatred I feel for the fucker, here’s Divine saying it for all of us…

30 Likes

No doubt. But there’s little context and just the familiar newsmedia pattern:
-Trump comes to town.
-Trump has a rally and pumps up enthusiastic crowd
-Trump attacks Biden and Democrats
-Trump leaves town.

16 Likes

A portion that’s far too large, anyway. You know, like a cancer, or other terminal disease.

1 Like

Bronx has a population of 1.4 million.

17 Likes

Thank you for the kitten pic. It made me smile

10 Likes