Trump Trial Finale: Prosecutors Outline A Conspiracy, Defense Invents One Of Its Own

NEW YORK — The first-ever criminal trial of an American president barreled to a close on Tuesday in a marathon day at Manhattan Criminal Court — the last day of testimony before the case goes to the jury, and one to which both sides brought everything they had.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1490954
1 Like

And we anxiously await the decision of twelve ordinary Americans…

30 Likes

We are at a defining moment in American history.

20 Likes

I think they’re gonna convict him. But, I also thought there was no way he could ever elected.

22 Likes

Nice coverage, Josh. Fill us in on how it ends.

39 Likes

It is good that at least one of Trump’s trials will go to completion before the election. If convicted, he’ll dodge a final outcome until his appeals are exhausted (or the SOB gets into office again), but the fact of this trial will stay on the record, regardless of outcome.

12 Likes

It looks like a slam-dunk to me, but so did the first OJ trial.
I hope that this “jury of his peers” is better able to look at the hard facts and ignore the smoke and mirrors, defense posturing.

15 Likes

Agree. Coverage has been excellent.

19 Likes

I still think that the 2016 election was illegitimate. The election involved criminal activity and foreign interference that altered the outcome.

29 Likes

These sound suspicipusly like the words of someone who actually read the Mueller Report.

11 Likes

I want to be hopeful. I really do. But I have a bad feeling.

6 Likes

To every turd in the septic tank accrues a certain plausible deniability of its own stink. The lesson here should be that EVERY RUMP LOVER is a turd in the same God damned septic, that the lid cannot be welded back on fast enough and that no one should ever support any of them for any purpose, ever again.

5 Likes

The sometimes ludicrous moves by an experienced defense attorney, this combined with Trump’s stoicism (messaging to any stoolies on the jury) leaves me with a similar bad feeling. Might the ludicrousity be explained by said attorney knowing that one or more jury members are in the bag?

5 Likes

Maybe. But Hanlon’s Razor suggest another theory (even for an experienced defense attorney.)

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

7 Likes

Ministry of the Future had it right, and now we are crossing a geochemical Rubicon. Every government on the planet should be discussing how to pull back on carbon emissions, but instead we’re largely distracted

Or really late to the party.

17 Likes

Steinglass went in detail through the evidence, but what he said at one point was enough: “Extortion is not a defense for falsifying business records.”

They are all sleazeballs, but Donald Trump is the GOAT of sleazeballs.

6 Likes

Well, the appearance of stupidity could be going a long way in this case. I’d say that Maugham would have said that the razor’s edge cuts both ways.

1 Like

If we lose our Democracy it’s all over.

4 Likes

It will just be starting.

5 Likes

I hope that Trump’s efforts to infest the jury pool didn’t work an we have a12-0 slam dunk.

8 Likes