Trump Threatens To Slap Iraq With ‘Very Big’ Sanctions If It Kicks Out U.S. Forces

President Donald Trump vowed on Sunday night to punish Iraq if it expels U.S. troops from the country.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1282770
1 Like

Ok, I’ll bite. What does it mean to “charge” someone sanctions?

28 Likes

Another bite: What does it mean to “ask in a very friendly basis?” Asking for an illiterate President…

27 Likes

If I was Iraq, I’d announce we were starting talks with Putin on trade agreements to offset trump’s sanctions.

32 Likes

Apparently they also owe us for a “big, beautiful” airbase that was built. Sure, Trumpy zero out those sums. Knock yourself out.

20 Likes

I dont think that Iraq really wants to talk Trump up to his boss.

7 Likes

Iraq: “No thanks, you can take it with you when you leave.”

42 Likes

Donald J. Trump

Talk bigly while having very small hands.

18 Likes

He’s cognitively impaired as well.

Let that sink in.

My carer keeps asking if this is the start of World War III.

7 Likes

Far be it from me to side with Iraq but…this is the ‘same sht different day’ he is playing with our (former) European allies. ‘Let us smear you, insult you, lie about you and then threaten you. After all, it’s all about US!’ Trump and company have the big lies and excuses ramping up. The only question we should be asking is WHY NOW???

7 Likes

Signs of fascism : Dumbed-down, simple, close-fisted solutions for complex problems.

21 Likes

As I dont think Putin believes he would benefit from all out war, he will keep Trump in check just enough to boost oil prices and keep us busy fighting Iranian cyber attacks so Russia can hack the election.

6 Likes

34 Likes

“We’re not leaving unless they pay us back for it”
“It’ll make Iranian sanctions look somewhat tame”
“If there’s any hostility, that they do anything we think is inappropriate, we are going to put sanctions on Iraq”
"very big sanctions on Iraq”
“And we’re not allowed to touch their cultural site? It doesn’t work that way.”

Maybe Trump is angling for an insanity defense when he is arraigned on war crimes.

20 Likes

It means Mexico will pay for the Iraqi wall…

41 Likes

He didn’t take into account that this assassination would be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

8 Likes

Whatever Trump does, the American people would be better served by simply imagining that every speech, every action, every consequence is as if Trump is at a very large auditorium

That auditorium contains all GOP U.S. Senators
That auditorium contains all GOP U.S. Representatives

What has typically been the case was that Congressmen/women and Senators have a little bit of wiggle-room as to where they stood. with a POTUS.

That is no longer the case.

Trump speaks for all of the above individuals, and maybe it would be wise to come up with a noun which reflects this**, instead of focusing on Trump, which was always a fool’s errand. Trump is an out-patient without the GOP. An out-patient on a 24-hour pass.

** I am an serious as a man can be. There MUST be a better way to link the GOP to Trump, instead of the the enervating, “His minions don’t care”. That has the opposite effect of, on the other hand, equating a smarmy Ted Cruz or a cowardly Marco Rubio or a lying Susan Collins DIRECTLY AND ALWAYS to Trump.

27 Likes

Infrastructure week has taken on a new angle.

22 Likes

Nothing like a war to move impeachment off the front pages.

And his foot is raised above Iran’s cultural sites, just in case.

2 Likes

Anything. Past or Present.

Literally he is a living stream of consciousness. 100% transparent in every move.

He can say and believe opposite things within the same sentence. He says what comes to his mind as it comes. Surely his staff try and control the last thing he hears.

15 Likes