Trump’s Social Network In Danger Of Closure | Talking Points Memo

Wow. In olden days, a baby with a face like Trump’s would be exposed.

1 Like

I’m not going to wade through the entire license, but it appears that “A ‘covered work’ means either the unmodified Program or a work based on the Program.” So there are requirements of some kind even attached to the unmodified code. mastodon/LICENSE at main · mastodon/mastodon · GitHub

So there are various notice provisions that have to be complied with even for unmodified code.

And because we are talking about creating a new (and so much better!) social media platform, it seems likely to me that there will be modifications of some kind. If only to create a difference with other platforms.

1 Like

Exactly. TPM uses WordPress, an open source project. I know this because of Josh’s comments in the blog.

Facebook and Google and even Microsoft spend billions a year on open source software development.

11 Likes

Well, most of the existing ownership is from private placement, where they evaluate the buyer and make sure this is someone they want to be in bed with. But the stock did trade publicly since Sep 30th, so I suppose anyone could have bought in since then, if there were any sellers (why would there be?).

Given the likely billion dollar payoff if he (they) can keep the price up, he may have agreed to take a flyer on it.

Exactly wake me up when someone actually files a lawsuit. I work at a book publisher. A couple times a year we get a sternly worded letter from someone claiming copyright infringement for quoting something or using a picture that yes we do have a license to. We send them back a form letter with some links to explanations of fair use or the license if it’s an image. Haven’t been sued yet.

3 Likes

Just the usual from the World’s Biggest LOSER, Trump.

15 Likes

This is what? The third or fourth attempt by Trump to create some kind of alternative social media platform for his crazy supporters? 1. it’s always just another scheme to separate the MAGAts from their money and 2. he doesn’t/can’t hire actual, competent tech people so he always fucks it up.

12 Likes

Just by the fact they’ve renamed it and using it as a new social media platform. That’s enough changes.

2 Likes

Yeah but Trump hired Matt Gaetz to defend and found out his license was BS too. That’s the story. Has to be true because it feels so good.

Retweet if it makes your pants wet.

Thanks for the link! It clearly is more restrictive than Apache licensing and even Linux licensing. And it occurs to me that they may see as “modification” any change to one of the graphics and page templates in the repository, which would need to be modified to brand the site.

3 Likes

Dipshits on parade…when did we ever see a detailed well developed plan about anything these chumps ever did…grfting is a very fluid occupation that is at odds with providing details…

11 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

@discobot what open source code do you use?

9 Likes

And one that some investors can’t wait to get in on.

1 Like

Former President Trump’s new social network may only have thirty days to live.

Trump launched the app — TRUTH Social — on Wednesday evening.

He’ll lie to keep it going. That is the truth.

8 Likes

I have never seen a pack of people who are uniformly such total constant fuckups. You’d think there’d be a stopped-clock thing where once in a while they’d do something in a competent, sensible way, but never. Zero actual skills. It’s remarkable.

24 Likes

He’ll get a certain percentage of shares for attaching his name to the project. The SPAC is going to acquire Trump Media and Tech. He’ll gt far more than his cut when this happens.

It is remarkable how utterly unremarkable they are.

4 Likes

Yes, in other threads I’ve mentioned that sometimes the license requires you to provide a link to the text of the package’s license and/or a link to the downloadable package itself, and that those details are precisely the kind of thing that doesn’t get done in the rush to meet a deadline. Easily remedied.

The difference vs. other platforms is that this one has their chosen one on it. It would be counterproductive and a waste of money and assumption of implementation risk to be making any changes to an off-the-shelf package, assuming mastodon can be used in an off-the-shelf manner.

4 Likes

They don’t care if it’s dead before it ever got off the ground. Stock popped to $150 this morning, came back down to $90. Not bad returns for folks that bought in for $10 before this week.

There may be a bit more to squeeze out of the rubes, but everything from here on out is massive gravy.

19 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available