Trump’s Social Network In Danger Of Closure | Talking Points Memo

Former President Trump’s new social network may only have thirty days to live.

Trump launched the app — TRUTH Social — on Wednesday evening. Within hours, members of the open source software community began to notice something: a test version of the website appeared to be accessible, and it seemed to operate based on a software that already exists: Mastodon.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391843
1 Like

AHAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAhaaaaahahahhahaaaaaaaaa!

What a bunch of incompetent asswipes. Seriously.

56 Likes

Who is surprised by this? Everything TFG touches turns to shit. He wanted to change the subject, once again, and has failed once again.

42 Likes

Trump’s “new social network” is a complete exercise in futility and stupidity. “Trump” and “TRUTH” are totally incompatible. Trump is incapable of knowing what Truth is, much less to speak or write it.

27 Likes

You would think that by now we’d all understand that ETTD is only a more eloquent expression than the actual maxim: Trump always fucks-up!

14 Likes

Once again proving that most social diseases can be cured. Or shut down.

9 Likes

Not necessarily. Trump is a social disease!

5 Likes

30 days is plenty of time for this stock meme investing scam to do its work.

20 Likes

namely, that they agree to make the source code of the modified version available to the public.
TRUTH Social did not do so.

Is it clear that they they modified the source code? How do we know this?

I ask because typically, when one uses open source code it is because of its utility as a good, proven out, off the shelf installable package. For instance, if you install apache, the most commonly used web server in the world, it is extremely rare for you to modify its source code. You configure it, yes, you might install additional functionality in slotted locations, you might even write your own package of additional functionality to hook up via the provided API.

You really almost never have any reason to be modifying the web server itself, and I’d be extremely suspicious of any hire who wants to do so: you’re paid to get the job done, not to tinker. Its a bit like hiring a guy to build your deck, and he wants to do some genetic engineering to grow the right wood. You’re like, uh, no.

14 Likes

FAKE LICENSING! No license! No license! You’re the license! We have the best licensing!

45 Likes

This is not hard. All the have to do to comply with the license is publish any patches to the code, which is easy.

I don’t see this as a problem for them, and I am sure they will be in compliance by launch.

I wish there was a story here.

2 Likes

It is for the insiders who already owned shares of DWAC (at $10 a share, and some with warrants to buy more at ~$1.25 a share). But when does TFG actually get his grubby mitts on some of those shares? The deal is a proposed one, not completed yet and still subject to “regulatory” approval. (quotes for the rubberstamp nature of that approval)

4 Likes

Surprise, Surprise! Cheapo Trump is using open source software instead of paying for a license or building his own from scratch.

10 Likes

There is a story here, but it’s not about actually getting this site online, at least not yet. Right now it’s an investing scam.

29 Likes

There might be, if mastodon is written in such a way that one cannot install it without modifying the code. If so, that’s a crappy implementation, or a deliberate crippling of it to prevent AWS-style monetization of it.

3 Likes

"Kill it in the crib." - S. Bannon

9 Likes

I don’t know anything about the project, and am tempted to look into and maybe build it in Minikube to see what is involved.

If it is a mature project, then deploying it commercially is fine. If it is much newer, then large scale deployment will find bugs that need to be fixed, plugins that need to be written, authentication systems that need tweeking, etc.

I should really look into it before I talk more, I guess,.but the last thing I want to do is end up in a rabbit hole where I am fixing bugs on software Trump uses…

2 Likes

A violation of…blah, blah, blah…COULD hurt Trump’s …blah, blah, blah

I haven’t seen a COULD become a real thing yet - this won’t either.

9 Likes

Let’s keep in mind that Trump never allows his name to be attached to anything without profiting from it. Is there any reason one of his spawn or yet another of his shell companies couldn’t already be holding $10 shares of DWAG before this was announced?

6 Likes

Lets drive a stake though the heart of this misbegotten idea that open source is cheap, crap code. Google makes extensive use of open source code, and they have near infinite money to do their own implementations of anything they choose to. Your browser cannot talk to anything without using open source code.

In general, the quality, reliability, and security of a mainstream open source package is far higher than that of a custom product, or their commercial off the shelf equivalents. The fact that many programmers review it, tinker with it, and beat on it, (“many eyes”) results in a much better product than something built under limitation of a contract deadline or “make the quarterly numbers” deadline.

30 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available