Trump’s Justices Have Finally Spelled Out Their Hardcore Approach To Election Disputes | Talking Points Memo

Two things can be true. Obviously, the fix is in. They’re bending themselves into pretzels to make the case for deciding a close or contested election for Trump. However, IF we win by an overwhelming margin, then the fix is broke. So, it’s important that we recognize that they’re actively trying to steal the election and that voting is even MORE important, as a result.

3 Likes

The pardon power became a get-out-of-jail-free-card when Gerald Ford prospectively pardoned Richard Nixon for any federal crimes he might have committed from January 20, 1969 through August 9, 1974. No charges required.

1 Like

When Rapie Kavanaugh implied that all ballots must be tallied on the day of the election for them to be legal votes, know that he’s lying, or ignorant or both. In fact, every state has its own deadline for certifying their election results and those dates range this year from November 5th to December 11th. Tennessee, Hawaii, Rhode Island and New Hampshire don’t even have deadlines.

1 Like

On se calme les enfants! Tierney laid out very transparently the flaws in Bart’s concurrence. He boofed. Scalia is spinning in his grave and Kennedy is puking. It’s all good.

3 Likes

My understanding was that the PA Supreme Court decision allows for counting of absentee ballots received after Election Day, with the assumption that the “three day” limit means the ballot was mailed prior to Election Day (many - most? - absentee ballots are postage paid and are not post-marked, at least my Central PA county does it that way). So any ballot received on or before Election Day would be counted in PA even if SCOTUS reconsiders reviewing the SCOPA decision.

2 Likes

Don’t forget 620,000 war dead from 1861-1865.

1 Like

Word.

All Justice Rapey did really was prove how fucking stupid and ideological he is.

4 Likes

This has been the case since at least 2000, but I’m sure they would have done it even earlier had the vote been close enough. But it’s always been when the vote was close. This year it doesn’t appear to be likely to be close, in either the popular or EC vote. But there’s nothing to stop them from overturning even a massive, obvious and unquestionable Biden win if they want to, and I’m beginning to worry that this is precisely what they’ll do, that the decision has already been made, and we’re just going through the motions of a real election when the outcome is already a given. It would be incredibly explosive and split the country apart like it hasn’t been split since 1861, but constitutionally, given the supremacy of the court, it would be technically legal.

Why would they do this? Not merely because they can, but because they know what may well happen if they don’t. Dems expanding the court to regain the majority, as well as the lower courts to gain the upper hand there too. Monumental progressive legislation like we haven’t seen since the 30’s and 60’s. DC & PR as new states. Laws against gerrymandering, voter suppression and election manipulation. A national voting rights and modernization act. Massive new spending. Basically a progressive dream and a conservative nightmare, the work of the past 50 years erased, their life’s work made moot.

Plus Trump goes to prison and is financially wiped out, dragging some of them down with him.

Are they really going to let that happen, even if the only way to prevent it is openly stealing the election via constitutional fiat?

I don’t think so.

Will it work, though? That’s the real question. But this is what’s going to happen, I now believe. There’s no other reason they rushed this through. They could have done it in the lame duck, which politically would have been smarter. They’re going to lose votes and possibly seats because of this. The ONLY reason they did it before the election was to steal it.

Folks, they’re going to steal the election via this new 6-3 majority. They’re that insane, extreme, brainwashed and corrupt.

Unless the country erupts in such civil unrest that they’re forced to back down.

3 Likes

I wonder if, by 10:30 election evening, DJT will be demanding that every single vote be counted before Biden is declared the winner.

4 Likes

A.k.a. two perfect examples of Republican cynicism.

I think that’s more likely than anything else. :laughing:

2 Likes

“Likely voters or have already voted.”

3 Likes

He’s going to be begging for every vote to be counted everywhere at this rate.
:joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

International adoptions require going to the child’s country and filing adoption paperwork, including visa clearance paperwork for the flight back, in that country.
They don’t just throw babies onto cargo shipments😂

It’s normal for the adoptive parents to stay in the country for a couple weeks at least.

My understanding is that even all these costs rolled together are still typically less than those of adopting a child within the States.

3 Likes

Thank you for that! I did not realize that the Governor is the backstop.

1 Like

Yeah, like that would work. A commonsense interpretation of the wording of Article III is that SCOTUS has either original or appellate jurisdiction over everything, and any act of Congress to except any kinds of cases from SCOTUS’ appellate jurisdiction just throws them into the Court’s original jurisdiction.

And whether you think (or, for that matter, whether the greatest legal minds in the U.S. think) that’s the proper interpretation or not, that’s how this Supreme Court would surely rule if Congress went that route.

So let’s forget this end run. It won’t work. Expand the Supreme Court and the circuit courts.

1 Like

So… SCOTUS has no enforcement power, correct?

What’s stopping each state’s governor and elections apparatus from simply ignoring any attempt by this court to steal the election, and continuing to count votes and certify elections by their own established procedures?

3 Likes

They should also look at whatever transactions may have occurred between Trump (or one of his minions), Justice Anthony Kennedy, Kennedy’s son, and Deutsche Bank right around the time Kennedy retired. All that timing was just a little too convenient.

1 Like

if she retires at the average age for a Supreme Court justice, [Barrett] could be on the bench until 2053.

An opulent perch from which to watch her children suffer intense climate calamities and resource scarcities, knowing her political party was wrong for the previous sixty years.

2 Likes

Depends, for the littles I believe this is true. My wife and I adopted an 8 year old out of Colorado’s foster system, and the state ended up paying a lot of the adoption costs for us. They were even willing to provide us with a monthly stipend (which we turned down).

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available