Trump’s Immunity Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free Card Finally Goes Before The Supreme Court

The Supreme Court finally hears Donald Trump’s attempt to knock the legs out from under Special Prosecutor Jack Smith’s Jan. 6 case on Thursday. The arguments come over four months after Smith initially asked the justices to decide whether Trump could claim sweeping immunity to protect him from prosecution related to the insurrection.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1487107

Busy day; if I weren’t retired, I would have to take the day off to keep up.

Saw this very large and unusual cat yesterday, had to snap a photo:

43 Likes

That this has gotten to the Supreme Court is deeply disturbing.

48 Likes

I haven’t had time to read all the news about this SCOTUS Immunity case. But I have seen headlines saying Chump’s team was already taking a victory lap on this issue, and other articles titles ‘even if he loses he wins’ and ‘even with a loss here are two ways Chump can beat it’. Or something like that.

Anyone here know what that is about and care to elaborate?

8 Likes

It’s bad news for Joe Biden!

21 Likes

Immunity for a would-be monarch? Alito will love it and Thomas will follow.

Curious how the other conservatives on the court go.

6 Likes

Best parse their immunity for Trump ruling very carefully. Biden will still be President when it comes out. Would want anything bad to happen to the Fascist Facilitators.

13 Likes

https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/live.aspx

2 Likes

I assume it’s just that the resulting delay in criminal proceedings plays to his advantage - until it doesn’t.

ETA: edited for clarity.

7 Likes

The 6 cons have already reached a decision to do Trump a solid. They wouldn’t have put if off this long if they hadn’t. It’ll be the argle-bargle and reverse engineering that gets them there that will be revealing.

32 Likes

The fact that they are preloading the narrative with this “even if he loses, he wins” trope means they expect to lose.

That’s the tell.

30 Likes

Think the argument is that even if he loses immunity argument before the Supreme Court the justices have dawdled so long that he’s won what he really wanted, a delay in the DC trial.

30 Likes

I don’t know that the case getting to the court is as deeply disturbing as the lack of emergency the court has taken in delaying the hearing to the FINAL day of argument in this term.

To me, it’s a clear indication that they won’t decide a damned thing, will defer the case to next term (because there isn’t enough time to make a proper decision [/s]) and nothing will be resolved for moving these cases forward until AFTER the election.

Alternatively (and I know some of the legal beagles amongst us may disagree), they could decide tomorrow that TIFBG DOES have immunity, but it extends to him and to him only. Then, everything goes away and the juggernaut toward authoritarianism continues unabated.

Honestly, I just can’t see this court telling TIFBG no, you don’t have immunity. I just can’t see it.

Corruption doesn’t begin to describe this situation.

28 Likes

Indeed.

But if they were thinking that way they would never have taken the case. It has already been well decided. Yes, they will try to parse the case to favor conservative monarchs. And they will count on Democratic presidents to behave like we really have a democracy under their ruling.

But Alito is a pure authoritarian thug and Thomas is not far behind.

24 Likes

The good news is there will be plenty of time before the election for Supreme Emperor Biden to use his new powers to make Trump and his sycophants go away.

14 Likes

It will be a very narrow decision, written specifically to apply only to Presidents that have litigation and lawsuits against them,

Ergo, won’t apply to Biden.

14 Likes

Succinct and on point - have you considered working for the NY Times?

17 Likes

Yep, that’s it. The Trump team is saying they’ve already won because SCOTUS delayed the more serious Federal criminal trials until after the election by not deciding this sooner.

They may be right about the classified docs case with judge Cannon in the tank for Trump, but there may still be a chance that the J6 trial will begin before the election. And maybe conclude before then.

12 Likes

In the photo, TFG is clutching his “daily affirmations” like Linus and his security blanket.

6 Likes

Go Rogue?? You couldn’t pry me away from my computer today. I hope I’m wrong, but I feel the conservatives on the SCOTUS are going to try to say trump is immune THIS TIME, and he is within his official duties for “trying to make sure the elections was fair.”

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available