Trump’s Immunity Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free Card Finally Goes Before The Supreme Court

It’s not only Trump, all rich and famous are above the law…

20 Likes

When you’re a star you can do so much more than grab them by the…

Screw it, it’s to early for this kind of news. Where’s my corkscrew?

6 Likes

I’m expecting them to wait until the last day of June to remand the case to the lower court to determine exactly which actions might be construed as official acts of a president.

18 Likes

Yes in every other case when Chump wants speed, the SCOTUS has cleared the decks and moved with lightning efficiency. But on this one, dragging each foot every step.

16 Likes

Trump will be pleased.

5 Likes

If you’re a true sicko (my people), you can really go rogue on your employer and follow both at the same time (Josh’s liveblog here).

Done and done.

Oh, Kate, you know us so well.

9 Likes

That’s another distinct possibility - the options are truly endless, but there’s only one that will rest the case once and for all. I’m just not convinced the court will do the right thing and put an end to it.

4 Likes

I guess I understand the magnitude of this decision. It does go back to Nixon saying that if the President does it, it’s not a crime. No one ever stood up to that (because there was never a reason to, until now). Nixon resigned before that issue could be put to rest and Ford pardoned him (in what was possibly one of the more bone-headed moves in an effort to put the whole sordid event behind us).

I suggest that, at least minimally, that pardon has been a milepost on where we are now.

8 Likes

21 Likes

That sounds like something SCOTUS would rule on if Trump was convicted and an appeal reached the court. Not before the trial even takes place.

I think it’s likely that the entire ridiculous argument for immunity will be rejected, mainly because why would the SCOTUS give the Executive branch that much power? If there is a carve-out just for Trump, I think it will be based on something less specific about the J6 case, and more hand-wavy and constitutional.

2 Likes

After listening to part of yesterday’s oral argument, I have no confidence that this court will do anything that will enable this case to move forward before the election. The TV lawyers have all been wrong on this case. Many/most they thought that they would decline to hear it. Much is made of Roberts being concerned about the public’s distrust of the court. I don’t buy that for one minute. He and his RW ideologues don’t give a rat’s ass about their reputation. They love the power.

27 Likes

Here we go.

1 Like

Roberts’ only concern is acting and ruling in such a way that the level of scrutiny increases enough to impede their agenda. He’s always done his best to move his agenda along in small enough steps that the country doesn’t explode and demand impeachments or an expansion of the court. A few of their recent rulings are getting perilously close to that line.

20 Likes

Sauer says bribery is not an official act but apparently orchestrating an insurrection is just dandy.

13 Likes

Insurrection is an official act only for POTUS. All other officers of the federal government are prohibited from insurrection, though.

10 Likes

Sotomayor is respectfully telling Sauer he is full of shit.

20 Likes

17 Likes

“Sickos of the world unite. You only have your jobs to lose”

Das Sickital     Karl Mximus
1 Like

Brown-Jackson hits him hard.

10 Likes

Gorsuch just threw him a life-line.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available