Trump’s First Day Ends In Another Attempt To Get Out Of It

NEW YORK — After the morning arguments, we landed at what will likely be the meat of the coming days and, possibly, weeks: jury selection.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485966
1 Like

I really hope the jury is genuine, and does not contain a ‘stealth’ juror.

49 Likes

Who knew or well duh.

“Your client is a criminal defendant”

It’s almost like Donald himself thinks he’s guilty.

31 Likes

“Your client is a criminal defendant,” he told Blanche. “He is required to be here, he is not required to be at the Supreme Court.”

plus 1000!

81 Likes

If he believes he has done nothing wrong why not let the show go on?
He has nothing to fear, right?

13 Likes

ETA: …MOTHERFUCKER!

44 Likes

They rarely excuse someone who says “I can’t do this” without an actual reason why it’s a challenging case for them. I was called for duty recently, and as it was a domestic violence case several people who had been in that situation were let off after being questioned (plus a couple people who worked in the child and family services unit). They still were questioned, some behind closed doors…no one got to stand up and say “I can’t be unbiased” and was just allowed to walk out the door. That does tell you how different this trial is, the judge is allowing anyone who honestly thinks that Trump is guilty and won’t be swayed on that to get out of it.

The issue I see is that it gives a MAGA supporter a better chance to sit on the jury…they aren’t going to bail just because they want out of jury duty, they will stay and try to get in the room and hang the jury (hopefully not literally). But, those types are going to be tripped up by the questions, and if a juror does try to sabotage things there will be enough alternates to step in…that will cause more conspiracy complaints but it may be necessary.

And, honestly, I’d rather have a bunch of people who take their duty seriously and let Trump off than people who vote him guilty or innocent because he’s Trump. It’s possible the prosecution fails to prove the case, or fails to prove that it’s a serious law breakage that should be punished with prison time, and justice should prevail even if it is Trump (as much as I hope he gets convicted). It’s best for the justice system that the jury have integrity, at least then we can feel better about the result. And, yes, I’m thinking about the OJ trial and jury, we don’t need that mess whatever the verdict is.

39 Likes

That photo looks like, as @jw1 put it, the motherfucker might just die.

19 Likes

Drowsy Don can’t stay awake for more. Sad.

19 Likes

“…in response to a question about whether a former President can face trial in state court…”

How is this at all a legitimate or meaningful jury selection question? That issue is not on trial here, and a jury would have no say in any motions for dismissal using that as a basis. They might as well just ask “Is ya fer ‘im, or agin’ 'im?”

14 Likes

Anyone dumb enough to be Trump’s “stealth” juror is probably dumb enough to get weeded out in the jury selection process.

27 Likes

Just lock the muthaf*cker up!!! I quess that statement makes me ineligible to be on a tRump jury.

12 Likes

Trump is golfing 4 to 5 days a week.

He makes one or two campaign stops.

He’s so full of shit, his eyes should be brown.

29 Likes

If you can’t do the time/put in the time-then don’t do the crime.

13 Likes

Burn the witch!!! Or if not a witch, lock up the criminal who defrauded American voters in 2016, who arranged for fraudulent business records to hide his other crimes.

19 Likes

I’ve served as a juror on a few criminal trials including once as the foreman. The only people I ever saw quickly excused were folks with serious health issues. In my state if you aren’t selected for any given jury you don’t just go home - you go back into the pool and wait to have your number drawn again and go though voir dire for a different case, For me being a juror has been a valuable experience and if called again I certainly wouldn’t try to avoid it.

32 Likes

All the ways to rig the process, I’m not sure.

His chin has developed buttocks.

9 Likes

Not today. Instead, more than 50 of the initial 96 jurors were immediately excused on account of self-admitted bias.

The judge knows he has a yuge jury pool and determined he would get to 12+alts quicker this way.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available