Trump’s First Day Ends In Another Attempt To Get Out Of It

any TFG supporter will betray themselves before the trial even gets started.

3 Likes

I am fine with the immediate dismissal of jurors here, even if it really boils down to “just don’t want to do it.” Unlike virtually every other case, jurors are basically going to live with a target on their backs, even considering the lengths the judicial system will go through to protect them. Just as soon dismiss anyone who might be cowed into minimizing their (and their family’s) risk.

17 Likes

IANAL, however

Those are two different things. If the prosecution fails to prove the case, then the jury should vote to acquit.

But if the prosecution does prove its case, it’s not up to the jury to decide whether the law(s) broken merit prison time. That’s for the judge to decide. And he’ll explain as much to the jurors:

It’s not your role to determine what the law is, nor if the law is fair or unfair, nor may you base your verdict on what punishment may or may or may not be handed down to the defendent if convicted, etc.

15 Likes

Merchan bringing the heat. In a fit of impotent rage, Trump is going to be punching his pillows with tiny fists.

17 Likes

There are plenty of people in NYC.

5 Likes

I’d have a hard time maintaining equipoise and am certainly biased. I think I could judge the law correctly but I can’t say I could remain impartial. Not sure what disqualifies but I really believe the fucker’s guilty as sin and probably guilty of a ton of other crimes, too! Also, do jurors get to ask questions at any point during a trial like this?

8 Likes

Well, the flip side of that argument reminds me of that old Groucho Marx joke… Do I really want to be a member of a club that has such low standards that they would let me in? Seriously, I fear that if the exclusion guardrails are too low then I would be suspicious that anyone still in the pool after the 2nd or 3rd round may have an agenda that is inconsistant with the cause of justice.

2 Likes

If Diapers Donnie truly believed in his innocence he’d have wanted these trials to be over and done with as soon as possible now wouldn’t he :thinking:

13 Likes

I imagine they will pump him full of enough drugs to keep his eyes open for the proceedings. The press would rightfully kick him hard* if he ever nods off and falls asleep in court.

*I trust our media can, at least, still do yellow journalism if it falls asleep in court in front of them. And that Biden campaign would lead the way if/when the media falters.

4 Likes

You’re probably right but golfers never are golfing. They play play golf. My friend caddied for Trump some years ago and told me he was a 13 handicap. Not bad but not enough to win club championships unless you own the club.

12 Likes

“Your client is a criminal defendant. He is required to be here, he is not required to be at the Supreme Court.”

In other words, cut out the bullshit. Yes.

14 Likes

Barron Trump Pines For Papa And His Traveling Circus To Attend High School Graduation

Without a hint of irony the Mayor of Crime Scene Mal-d-Lardo specifically asked to be excused from appearing so he could attend Barron’s High School Graduation.

Quick refresher: Barron is Cockholster’s youngest child, the one whom his loving father had an ongoing affair with former Playboy Playmate of the Month Karen McDougal both while he was in utero and after his birth. McDougal became the subject of a capture-and-kill story by the National Enquirer in order to protect the statesman’s bid for the presidency.

Another woman who had a very brief carnal hook-up with his conscientious dad while he was a newborn, celebrated port star Stormy Daniels, was subsequently paid hush money by the defendant following the release of the Father of the Year’s infamous Access Hollywood tape, again to protect his presidential bid.

23 Likes

Well, the ones who insist on wearing their red MAGA hats into the courtroom… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

the judge is allowing anyone who honestly thinks that Trump is guilty and won’t be swayed on that to get out of it.

The question was about being fair and impartial, though. That would also be a question that a MAGAt might answer that they couldn’t be impartial because they couldn’t even convict him of shooting someone on Fifth Ave if they saw it with their own eyes.

That would mean that they had some integrity, which might be why you didn’t consider that a possibility. (Sad to say, I know some people who still support him and who might say they could not be impartial.) Just thought I’d mention that there is a possibility that some of the dozens who were automatically dismissed might have their minds made up in a different way.

2 Likes

I think his plan is to personally threaten / charm / intimidate every jurist and nearby folks in several venues. The most important one is obviously the SCOTUS. His charisma fails at distance - if he’s not there, they will stray from his control and vote against him.

This might be part of his downfall - God willing. He needs 5 SCOTUS votes. I don’t think he has Roberts. Does he have the other 5? Time will tell.

2 Likes

“The verdict was rigged!”

6 Likes

Barron was four months old when Trump had his one-hour stand (if that) with Stormy Daniels in Las Vegas. So Trump was cheating on both Melania and McDougal then? They don’t call Trump “Donny Two Scoops” for nothing.

8 Likes

I’m wondering if any potential jurors-in-waiting might overhear some small-talk from other potential jurors proclaiming their own political views, either for or against, and subsequently report them as biased, either for or against the defendant.

ETA, any potential juror doesn’t even actually have to hear any other potential juror say anything. All they have to do is say they heard a potential juror say something that would be disqualifying. This jury selection could go on for months, through the entire population of Manhattan!

2 Likes

One of the funnier things I read was “Trump has his eyes closed. It’s not clear whether he is sleeping or thinking.”

It wasn’t clear if it was meant to be snark but, Boy howdy, I howled.

18 Likes

23 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available