Trump’s Final Days In Office | Talking Points Memo

One week before Jan. 6, Fox News host Sean Hannity was trying to make the White House see reason.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1402300

By any definition of arrogant, Sean Hannity is arrogant. By any definition of evil, Sean Hannity is evil.

60 Likes

No More Crazies? says who to whom? They are still crazy. Craziness is down payment to join the club.

This is a good article to read.

81 Likes

By any standard of justice tfg should spend every remaining minute of his life behind bars. Will not happen, unfortunately.

28 Likes

Fox News’ intimate involvement in the Trump Administration, especially the “final days” illustrates how disingenuous both Fox and Trump are when dealing with the American public. The situation has the flavor of the “final days” of the Nazi regime, Baghdad Bob or during the fall of the Soviets, a mix of the failing leadership and those enablers, whether in the “news” media or spokespeople.

78 Likes

“… scattered revelations shed light on how Trump and those true believers around him grasped at anything they could that would legitimate objections to the count on Jan. 6.”
Or illegitimate, they didn’t care.

21 Likes

Alan Colmes would have loved this!

7 Likes

Privately, Hannity urged calm. Publicly, he fanned the flames of the Big Lie that the 2020 election was stolen as much as anyone else

Well Sean did you use your parenting skills? Nope, what you said/texted in private is not how you acted in public. Children learn by seeing, not necessarily what they hear.

44 Likes

One has to wonder if those efforts to get DFG to call it off only came after it became clear that the gambit would fail, and that they needed to cut their losses and cover their asses and clean up their messes.

61 Likes

Hannity is Frankenstein, he created a monster that he couldn’t control. And the monster ran amok.

30 Likes

But will any of these disclosures matter in the end? Hannity and Fox will continue to fan the flames of illegal voting and white grievance. The Repugs will work to undermine voting so they remain in power and can dismiss any evidence the committee uncovers. And the same people who believe the vaccine is the mark of the devil also see Trump as God’s chosen savior for them: anything he did/does is perfectly justified as it will bring the end times sooner.

22 Likes

I think his legal troubles will follow him to the grave. I have no problem with the law constantly nipping at his heels, and costing him in every sense of the word.

45 Likes

A great Axios article about the infamous Dec. 2020 TFG “meeting of the deluded minds.”

https://www.axios.com/trump-oval-office-meeting-sidney-powell-a8e1e466-2e42-42d0-9cf1-26eb267f8723.html

24 Likes

he was promised 4 pieces of chocolate cake.

14 Likes

I think we hit an inflection point this week on the insurrection. The Media are now going all in to investigate the scheme to disqualify Biden electors and put up fake electors on Jan 6. This CNN piece below calls out the Trump campaign for the scheme in plain terms and even calling it ‘cheating’.

If the Media are talking in such plain terms, I think prosecutors won’t be too far behind the reporting. I also think that if the DOJ goes after the Trump circle (Rudy seems to be the one being thrown under the bus by the Trump crew at the moment) there won’t be much political pressure or pushback against them.

It has taken awhile but I think the larger public and the media have caught up to where we Dems have been on the insurrection and tie ins between the riot at the Capitol, the attempt to murder Pence, and the attempt to use Pence’s position as VP to throw out the popular vote in 7-8 states and keep Trump in as POTUS.

Now, the question is whether prosecutors will be aggressive. Are they going to be scared off by an implied (ok explicit) ‘honest belief’ defense where Trump simply assumed the election was stolen, found some unrelated claim of irregularities from an obscure rural county (which he won btw) and used that to declare ‘fraud’ and wipe out the votes of millions of mostly minority voters? Or, are they going to suit up, follow the evidence where it leads and actually defend this country?! This was an attempt to end Democracy. I want a zealous prosecution, a ‘witch hunt’ as one might say to go after these guys.

73 Likes

Nice report, Josh, the picture of the final days in office begins to clear…
when you have time could you work a pre-quel for us…
WHY (who talked him out of) no New Years Eve Party in Florida?

23 Likes

The week in the run-up to the 6th was an insane one by any standard. On Jan. 2, Trump called Georgia Secretary of State Brian Raffensperger, telling him, “I just want to find 11,780 votes.”

Al Gore is such a better man than Dotard T rumpp could ever be in his wildest dreams.

23 Likes

I read that more as a complaint, i.e., that they were looking for more crazies to add to Chiselin’ Trump’s entourage, but that they couldn’t find any more. It seems that all of the crazies were already onboard.

18 Likes

When Sean Hannity is the voice of reason…

24 Likes

That was pretty clearly to run the Clark DOJ installation, which fell apart the next day with the threats of mass resignations.

31 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available