Trump’s Final Days In Office | Talking Points Memo

It was indeed quite the week for Trump. He failed to turn Raffensperger, then failed to install Clark as AG, followed by failing to bend Pence to his demands, followed by a failed coup during which he cut and ran.

So was it really quite the week for him or just like any other week, just on a larger scale?

48 Likes

Need More Crazies, STAT! This is the baffle them with bullshit option.

14 Likes

…you know he’s hiding his inner thoughts.

13 Likes

Reality did bitch-slap him pretty good that week.

5 Likes

I more wonder if anyone will give them the benefit of the doubt.

5 Likes

Reason doesn’t speak out of both sides of it’s mouth.

Can’t George Soros and maybe the Gates Foundation and a few other wealthy Democrats just buy Fox news and liquidate it? And Sinclair too?

Okay, keep the networks just liquidate the Hannity’s et al. Publicly and loudly, for lying on air and violating every standard of journalistic ethics or free speech.

22 Likes

“All the best crazies…crazies you never even heard of”

17 Likes

While justice should always depend solely on the evidentiary record, in major cases, broad public sentiment and political pressure do often come into play.

I think the Select Committee is doing an outstanding job in finding solid evidence and putting enough information into the public domain to set the table and even make the case for DoJ.

As @khyber900 points out, the media smells blood and they’re competing hard for the next breaking story. It’s front and center in the zeitgeist. I also believe we’re past an inflection point and find it easier and easier to believe Trump will be prosecuted and many Republicans will not fall into line behind him. SCOTUS decision is a harbinger of that.

60 Likes

People were outraged that Cuomo on CNN was acting as a political advisor to his brother during the harassment scandal. Fox News talking heads continually act as political advisors at the same time they act as the propaganda arm of Trump/RNC.

41 Likes

What would have happened if Pence had said these electors don’t count, and these ones do?

Seriously, what would the Democrats have done in the Chamber if Pence did that, with or without the crowd of traitors and idiots outside?

Would the Sgt at Arms have arrested him at the request of the Speaker and the Minority Leader-Chuck wasn’t Majority Leader yet, correct? Vote certification stopped? Jordan punching out Schiff? Would it have ended up with John Roberts and his deplorable 5?

How would that have turned out? 5-4, with Roberts and the Liberal Minded Justices losing out?

What is there to stop such a thing beyond Pence’s own choices, that’s what I want to know

17 Likes

True, but I don’t think he was really taking a diametrically different stance publicly or privately, just trying to appear semi neutral.

2 Likes

One thing I’m struck by is that the enablers knew how bad everything was, and clearly understood they were dealing with a foolish, easily swayed person of catastrophically poor judgment. You hear little or no self-delusion about this, which you could have suspected all along. They knew what Trump was, they knew the other crazies, as they put it themselves, were crazy, they knew everything. And still they enabled the worst president in history in his final assault on the nation. And I’m sure at every moment they congratulated themselves on their patriotic motives.

Trump is what he is. I’ve never read any suggestion that people in his condition can decide not to do the things they do. But all the rest—words fail. Petain’s fate comes to mind, and Quisling’s. I doubt this society can reach such collective clarity and anger in these strange, sad days. But it’s sure as hell what they deserve.

89 Likes

Alas, poor Nunes only had a cow.

12 Likes

Yes. I call it “reaching critical mass.”

And no (official) word from TFG this week. Perhaps his lawyers have finally convinced him to STFU?

How long can he keep it up? Maybe they told him that if he keeps talking, it will be more likely Ivanka will end up in jail too.

14 Likes

Like he’d care. She may be his favorite child, but his person is still him. He’d throw all of his kids under a bus, she’d be the last one he’d toss.

24 Likes

I just don’t understand why TFG didn’t just say, “fuck the white house counsel, and fuck the DOJ leadership. Let them quit!!!”

I mean, he could have then simply replaced them all with more minions, right?

Who talked him back from that ledge?

6 Likes

I think (broad) public opinion is equally important. If a good portion of the right believes the prosecutions are a witch hunt, we still have a problem.

17 Likes

If they ever have, it never seems to last long. It always seems to me that when something really damning breaks, there’s a kind of shocked silence for up to a few days emanating from his direction, and then he opens his big stupid yap with a general denial and denunciation of the whole business. Probably spends the time yelling and screaming at everyone, fretting about what to say, plotting revenge, the usual routine for him, basically.

47 Likes

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Trumpers in power corrupt with shameless, sloppy, recklessness.

18 Likes

There would have been immediate outrage from other members of Congress. And not just the Democrats. Republicans voted to certify the EC count later that night after the Capitol was secured. They would have known it was a bullshit move that wouldn’t stand.

If the rioters hadn’t breached the Capitol, I expect the next move would have been for the House and Senate parliamentarians to rule that Pence was not following procedure, and he would have been removed if he didn’t back down.

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available