Trump Opener Disavows QAnon | Talking Points Memo

After reciting the QAnon rallying cry onstage at a Thursday evening Trump rally in Cincinnati, self-described “former liberal” Brandon Straka told TPM Friday that he does not support Q and denied that he was referencing the QAnon conspiracy theory.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1240004
1 Like

Mr Straka, I sincerely hope you realize that Donald Trump and the Rethuglican Party in general do not love you, they do not love the LGBTQ community, and they do not love minorities. If you embrace the GOP and if you lead other minorities to embrace the GOP they will continue to do everything in their power to destroy your rights and to destroy you.

26 Likes

Sounds like Russians to me.

13 Likes

I think we have our new DNI right here.

21 Likes

Ok. I am never that guy. But today I am going to be that guy.
Why the fuck does anyone care what Brandon Stracka thinks? Or says? Or really actually means?

37 Likes

“Once upon a time, I was a liberal,” Straka announced in the six-minute video. “Then I realized I could cross over and grift the SHIT out of these dumb-ass republican rubes! It’s going swimmingly.”

After his video went viral, Straka became a regular on Fox and NBC reported last year that Infowars host Alex Jones donated $10,000 to the group.

Indeed … get it while can … it’s a Griftrush!

31 Likes

Straka, a gay Manhattan hairdresser and aspiring actor who leads a group called Walk Away that aims to lead minorities away from the Democratic Party, denied any relationship with QAnon.

:crazy_face:

22 Likes

Class, always remember that the Q stands for Quazy.

37 Likes

My question is this: how is this dude profiting?

3 Likes

Googling Straka for any evidence of liberal activity before he became a highly public convert to Trumpism will come up empty. I suspect a search of Republican registration records and Q forums will not but have no interest in going there or wasting time investigating another minor player in the toxic show now playing at Republican venues everywhere.

This is the poison well of resentiment that Trumpism has so successfully mined: hostility that needs direction, a target to strike at that Trump et al will identify and condone.

Trump was always fluent in fascist speech but his followers are clearly learning from his example. It can be simple or more convoluted as in the febrile Qanon ravings but it always includes (1) scapegoated outgroup(s) and (2) a minority ‘elite’ (Jewish, globalist, etc) manipulating those outgroups. Whether it is ‘infesting’ the country to cheat ‘real’ people, or profiting from pedophile crime rings, the elements are always there.

24 Likes

How much was he paid?

6 Likes

#WalkAway is an inherently racist “movement.”

8 Likes

“Once upon a time, I was a liberal,” Straka announced in the six-minute video. “For years now, I have watched as the left has devolved into intolerant, inflexible, illogical, hateful, misguided, ill-informed, un-American, hypocritical, menacing, callous, ignorant, narrow-minded and, at times, blatantly fascistic behavior and rhetoric.”

Uh huh, sure buddy. You were definitely a liberal, and that is definitely a description of liberals and not the modern Republican Party. Yep, this all checks out, and you’re definitely not a particularly lazy con man attempting a particularly played-out con.

Think about the kind of person that looks at Milo and thinks, “That could be me!”

34 Likes

Is there any evidence that this guy was ever a liberal?

3 Likes

FIFY

9 Likes

Brandon Straka is a self-promoting gay hairstylist attempting to follow in Milo Yiannopoulos’ footsteps with his #walkaway (from the Democratic Party) Facebook campaign. FastCompany reported that images used to represent Democrats in #walkaway ads were in fact stock photo models. Straka himself has no significant background with the Democratic Party, and has barely even shown interest in voting:

33 Likes

Doubtful. People that legitimately support liberal/progressive causes generally don’t refer to themselves as “being a liberal” as if they’d chosen a sports team to root for or a club to join.

13 Likes

Domestic terrorist says what?

https://news.yahoo.com/fbi-documents-conspiracy-theories-terrorism-160000507.html

The FBI for the first time has identified fringe conspiracy theories as a domestic terrorist threat, according to a previously unpublicized document obtained by Yahoo News. (Read the document below.)

The FBI intelligence bulletin from the bureau’s Phoenix field office, dated May 30, 2019, describes “conspiracy theory-driven domestic extremists,” as a growing threat, and notes that it is the first such report to do so. It lists a number of arrests, including some that haven’t been publicized, related to violent incidents motivated by fringe beliefs.

The document specifically mentions QAnon, a shadowy network that believes in a deep state conspiracy against President Trump, and Pizzagate, the theory that a pedophile ring including Clinton associates was being run out of the basement of a Washington, D.C., pizza restaurant (which didn’t actually have a basement).

15 Likes

Brandon Straka is what you’re left with when your tolerance for Milo has been exceeded. The guy is a rapidly aging (43 and counting) gay grifter, He actually posted a video of his “one man show” on You Tube in 2017 that has, as of today 235 views – and only five comments. (and one assumes that most of those are from people trying to figure out what his deal is.)

19 Likes

I’ve been reading a few articles about the 50th anniversary of the Manson family cult murderous rampage and took my old copy of Helter Skelter off of my shelf.
There are plenty of similarities between them and the hard core Trump cult. Just look at the vacuous looks on their faces.
But what could have stopped Manson was him just getting signed to a record deal by Terry Melcher and being left alone to create his work at the abandoned ranch.
What could have prevented the ascent of Trump is a sentient Republican Party saying that he’s unacceptable.

12 Likes