Trump On Pandemic: ‘The Only Thing’ Administration Has Done Poorly Is Public Relations | Talking Points Memo

President Donald Trump on Friday patted himself on the back for a bungled effort at curbing the coronavirus effort that has led to the death of more than 200,000 people in the United States.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1334512

Olivia Troye was on Rachel last night and boy-o-boy did she have the goods and the dirt on Donnie and the Corona Task force.
Rachel specifically asked Olivia about Trump’s strange comments about bleach, UV light and the strange things Trump spouts about COVID. Olivia stated that the Faucis and Brixs are clear in these meetings what the science is, what the virus does, and what is needed to be done. But it’s the PR people that arrange things to Trump’s view.
And apparently Dense Pence isn’t as dumb as we think. But man-o-man has he sure got the boot licking down pat.

36 Likes

because we working so hard

What facet of Trump’s pampered life has formed the basis by which he measures “working so hard”? Ditto on the grade inflation, i.e. my father bought me a degree from Penn, by which “I give us an A to an A+.”

17 Likes

trump already has a fix for his PR problem - diverting $300 million of Covid funds into a pre-election advertising campaign:

From the article:

• The Trump administration diverted over $300 million in funding for the CDC to a COVID-19 ad campaign devised by a political appointee.

• The campaign “is expected to lean heavily on video interviews between administration officials and celebrities,” Politico reported.

• Michael Caputo, the Trump appointee who came up with the campaign, said on Facebook that it had been “demanded of me by the president of the United States. Personally.”

To put this into context - on Google I found a report saying N95 masks now cost between $2.70 and $3.80 each. Assuming an average cost of $3.20 each, the $300 million would have been enough to buy 93,750,000 N95 masks for healthcare workers, first responders, other essential workers, etc.

29 Likes

Pretty much. We should be bragging about leading the world in herd mentality, getting all of our deaths out of the way upfront so we can get the economy running again.

All in the messaging, and our brave leader has been courageous enough to withstand all the criticism and undermining by the deep State to keep the plan rolling along.

15 Likes

44 Likes

The pandemic has never been anything other than a PR problem for this administration. It is hard to put a happy face message on 200,000+ American deaths The management was chaotic but then again that it very on brand for Trump, and his message always been to down play the virus.

The only thing we did badly on was public relations, because we working so hard,”

29 Likes

Trump is talking to his Base and is incapable of doing anything different. “Expanding his reach” means, to him, more cheating.

A metaphor is:

A greeting card company planning to increase its revenue by adding a policy of worldwide kidnapping and ransom-taking.

[This new policy is, of course, just as hidden and secretive as cheating on voting :face_with_monocle:]

12 Likes

I just want our brave fat fuck to declare that he has total confidence in Atlas and his herd mentality, and that he has done away with all the testing of him, his staff, and those officials that he will be meeting with. Leading by example would certainly boost our nation’s moral and economy.

20 Likes

Never go full Dunning-Kruger, Donnie.

14 Likes

The sounds of ambulance sirens on practically an hourly basis along with one of the highest death tolls in the city is a bit more than a bad PR problem.

19 Likes

I look forward to Trump lying about the pandemic in the debates. Biden will be prepared to skin him alive.

26 Likes

A is for Ass

9 Likes

Tell that to the 200,000 plus empty seats at thanksgiving fuckwad

23 Likes

That is all Trump ever wanted to do. He asked Fauci why we couldn’t just let the virus run. It doesn’t matter that Fauci answered because a lot of people will die. The idea that the virus will play itself out never left Trump’s stupid head. Once he has an idea nobody changes his mind. Why would he? This freak thinks he knows better than everybody else about everything.

22 Likes

Of course, everything in GOPWorld is “public relations” (the first cousin of “messaging”)…

Like this:

How The Right Branded A Mock Election Exercise As A Dry Run For A Lefty Coup

16 Likes

Aren’t you grateful it wasn’t an ebola outbreak…

13 Likes

Who’s having Thanksgiving?

13 Likes

Their messaging was poor. Because citizens direct experience with lack of supplies caused them to doubt the message that the administration was doing a good job.
But the " I take no responsibility" was brilliant.

21 Likes

The refrigerator trucks for overflow corpses from the morgues didn’t help either.

25 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available