Trump Officially Taps Conservative Amy Coney Barrett For Supreme Court | Talking Points Memo

President Donald Trump on Saturday formally nominated Judge Amy Coney Barrett to fill the seat of the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg in a move that if confirmed will significantly tilt the ideological bearings of the Supreme Court for years to come.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1334569

I guess el jefe has done it:

4 Likes

Sweet Jeezuz – she’s the Michele Bachmann of Karens!

(If she has Victoria Jackson’s voice, I’m gonna shoot myself.)

39 Likes

What tactics can be used to slow walk the hearings? I hear if Kelly in Arizona wins he will be sworn in by nov 31. That reduces the number needed to three with two already announcing they will vote no to proceeed. Perhaps one more can be convinced to shift. Am I to optimistic?

11 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Well, this should go quickly. She’s eminently qualified and doesn’t seem to have a track record of sexually assaulting drunk coeds. Dems need to be very, very careful here not to make it personal.

9 Likes

Someone who is already an extreme reactionary who will be even more in 50 years when she retires.

11 Likes

Handmaid to order.

17 Likes

She looks nice.

1 Like

If Dems actually have “arrows in their quiver” and “tools in their tool chest”, please let us know what they are now instead of giving false hope.

Best method of framing her is that she’s the vote to destroy Obamacare and all of your health insurance protections and Medicaid expansions. Try being a GOP senator defending that during a pandemic in an election year. Biden needs to HAMMER that point in the debate.

And she was called on to help Bush in Bush v Gore by her law firm so she’ll vote to delegitimize the election.

25 Likes

Everything Trump Taps Dies.

8 Likes

Not voting has consequences.

21 Likes

The vote is already scheduled for Oct 26. Kelly will not be there in time. Dems cannot slow this down but can make clear her positions -based on her own judicial opinions. I posted this on another thread.

22 Likes

If Biden wins and the Dems take control of the Senate, the first order of business must to be select four Justices.

Before midterms, the Dems must also pack the lower courts.

21 Likes

“She is a woman of unparalleled achievement, towering intellect, sterling credentials and unyielding loyalty to the Constitution,”

OK. She’s only been a judge for what, three years? “Unyielding loyalty to the Constitution?” OK. But doesn’t believe in stare decisis?

And away we go!

16 Likes

I think you mean El Hefty.

14 Likes

Bizarrely, that’s the one thing that I would enjoy…but only in a very perverse way.

3 Likes

I used to think this was a crazy idea.

I now understand that naked, unapologetic, in-your-face fascism inevitably leaves people with no other choices than “crazy” ideas.

39 Likes

They must expand the courts. Lets start using language like the Repubs do…

16 Likes

Um, can you help to slow walk these confirmation hearings?

15 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available