Trump, McConnell Clash On Trial Approach | Talking Points Memo

Perhaps it was good to give him free rein to rant. I always suspected he was a Foxophiliac nutjob conspiracy theorist and reactionary theocrat. Now I see that I was entirely correct in my assessment.

13 Likes

I will tell youā€¦that there are two responses here:

(A) A sense of doubt that the judgement of our own intelligence services are correct.

(B) A sense of revulsion for Barr

Iā€™ll choose (B)

Those who select (A) are either breaking chains to support Trump or extremely ignorant of the legal actions against Trump and those associated with him over the past three years,

5 Likes

And he wants Mark Burnett to direct.

5 Likes

Please proceed Mr Presidentā€¦

No, really. Then the world can see just how seriously outmatched you are by every Democratic candidate when they ask questions of your toadies.

2 Likes

Moscow McConnell will not prevail in the sense that he wants. He is a Kangaroo Court artist going up against the one woman who knows all of his tricks.

5 Likes

Say what you want about McConnell, but he knows how to read a thermostat.

7 Likes

McConnell can hold 1/3 of the Senate. Expect that a lot of R douchebags in blue states who are facing election might jump but thatā€™s no more than 4-5 senators, and they will support McConnell on everything procedural, so heā€™ll get his circus.

1 Like

The GOP will handle Trumpā€™s trial the same way that a Mississippi prosecutor would have handled a case against a Klansman in the 1930s - ā€œGentlemen of the jury, your job here is to acquit the fine man who is unjustly accused.ā€

4 Likes

One thing. Most conservatives donā€™t accept objective reality. Trump is, to conservatives, Godā€™s work, whether they consider him the Second Coming or an evil manifestation who happens to be programmed to do Republican Godā€™s work. (If McConnell, who has already got the courts and his tax cuts, decides nothing more is forthcoming from Trump, heā€™ll be convicted the first week of January, and the Confederate Ninja Turtle will work much better with Pence, who is also compromised by the Russians but even more compromised by the religious right.

1 Like

Right now McConnell is placating Trump. After the opening arguments, the decision may be made to call live witnesses. Trump wants a Perry Mason Tee Vee show. Does McConnell?

3 Likes

If the Republicans donā€™t put on a fair trial (where thatā€™s defined for most people by what it looks like on TV), then heā€™s in double trouble. First, people will reject it, and second it will undercut all of the Republican lying propaganda about the ā€œunfair Democrat star chamber witch hunt!ā€ they have been ranting about for the past two months. Both of those hurt them with independents and people who want the investigation to proceed. Of course, McConnell may just ignore that in the hopes that people will forget by November, and try to put in a quickie trial thatā€™s over before anyone can really get too involved in what is going on.

The play where they allow Republicans to call witnesses is worse for them, because in that case they will have to let Democrats call witnesses they couldnā€™t during the investigationā€¦so weā€™ll get Mulvaney, Pompeo, Bolton, all of whom will have to testify under oath. And, all of whom will severely damage the Republican case, or else be caught out lying by the Democrats prosecuting the case. McConnell (and likely all the rest of them) know this, so they will do everything possible to avoid itā€¦and, if they have to play fair, that feeds again into holding a quick trial with little evidence presentation.

I really do hope that Trump is able to force them into a big show trial, where he will figure his usual method of bluster and lies can carry the day. That will come up against a wall of hard evidence, and cross examination that destroys all of the conspiracy theories that Republicans are trying to get across. The desperation that Republicans will feel when that happens will be palpable, and I think that will turn the public as wellā€¦they will be able to tell the difference when everyone is watching every day.

4 Likes

Sorry, but Iā€™ve got a bee under my bonnet on this issue.

The IG report gives evidence of ample predication to investigate Flynn

Was the plan to keep Flynn from talking, no matter what? And what does Flynn do now? Heā€™s going to jail unless Trump pardons him.

8 Likes

You know, McConnell needs to be really really careful on how the trial goes ā€“ and this might prove to do him in if it is blatantly unfair and preferential to the Fat Fuck.

5 Likes

Absolutely agree. McConnell will have to walk a tightrope.

And Donnie will have to navigate a minefield ā€“ especially if he testifies.

4 Likes

I assume that Pelosi has carefully studied history, including just how nasty confederates are. Lincoln extended the war by two years by not (initially) pursuing the war aggressively. The Democrats tend to be constrained by basic norms of behavior.

Sure ! Donā€™t you ever watch TV Lawyer shows ?

The defendant always gets to choose which witnesses who can testify at his trial !

1 Like

Trump wants a Cartoon Show.

Letā€™s give it to him:

Make him testify under oath.

The people who enable Trump include those government officials who take for granted that Trump cannot be compelled to testify under oath.

This includes the entire Republican Party.

1 Like

Petey Williams should go back to just making shit up and leave real journalism to the professionals.

You still wonā€™t get 2/3 of the Senate. And McConnell will likely tolerate it if a few weak incumbents fold (in return for even tighter control later). Given that heā€™s got his tax cuts and his POTUS picks, he doesnā€™t even care if Trump gets swamped and he loses the majority, as long as he gets close and can lasso in DINOs like Manchin. Even if the next POTUS gets a SCOTUS pick, it will like be to replace Ginsburg, so it doesnā€™t make much difference in the grand scheme of things. He could even go eight years, unless we learn there is a God and that he can dispense massive coronaries to evil people like Rapey Brett the Beer-Belly and can cut deals with Beelzebub to make Clarence ā€œPubic hair in my coke!ā€ Thomas decide there is more money on the wingnut gravy train. It is worth hoping that Rapey Brett kicks off early but Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and Roberts are all in good health. (I canā€™t see Thomas being sloppy drunk.)

1 Like

BREAKING not RUDY NEWS!!!

While on a mission to Ukraine to acquire information about the business dealings of Hunter Biden, Rudy Giuliani was kidnapped by a travelling Ukrainian circus, Giuliani confirmed on Tuesday.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available