Trump, McConnell Clash On Trial Approach | Talking Points Memo

President Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) reportedly cannot get on the same page regarding how to approach the Senate impeachment trial.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1267585

several Republican senators warned White House counsel Pat Cipollone not to “turn the Senate into a circus.

You are the circus, and he is your monkey.

20 Likes

“Trump wants Hunter Biden, House Intelligence Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA) and the whistleblower — whose complaint sparked the impeachment inquiry and still remains anonymous despite efforts by Trump and his allies to expose their identity — to testify on the Senate floor in-person, rather than via taped depositions.”

Excuse me?

They’re not going to be “testifying”.

By any means.

In this or any other GOP circus.

But if Republicans really want to make a point, then they should definitely subpoena all three.

Which they’ll ignore.

(By the way, good luck naming an anonymous whistleblower in a subpoena.)

And while the GOP pursues judicial precedent for compelling witnesses to testify, re: impeachments…

I’ll personally pop the corn and chill the beers for Chairman Schiff.

16 Likes

GettyImages-862043646-804x536

16 Likes

In the matter of Dotard #1 vs. Dotard #2, the court of public opinion is now in session.

2 Likes

Come on, Trump! Don’t let these wimps tell you how to be impeached! Send out the clowns and make this the biggest most beautiful impeachment anyone’s ever seen!

Some people want to see the world burn, while others set themselves on fire just for the attention.

13 Likes

Thanks for the Heads-Up.

Here come da circus!!!

5 Likes

Welp, even if Mitch has no interest in how historians will remember him, Chief Justice Roberts likely does. Mitch just wants to stay in power and with his party remaining in the majority in the Senate. At some point Trump’s cost may outweigh his benefit. Don’t you enjoy the endless recalibrations necessary in the mind of Mitch for the next little while? I know I do.

6 Likes

If Hunter is up to it he should testify. From what I understand he’s a bright guy and wouldn’t be outdone by any of the intellectual lightweights the GOP will bring to the show. He can give one reply for all questions " If you have to ask me that why am I sitting here".

1 Like

Barr is a nut job conspiracy theorist. MSNBC invites him on to promulgate lies and propaganda. Pete Williams MIA. Many heads explode. Institutional TeeVee news media once again fails to rise to the challenge.

23 Likes

What a weird world it is where the accused and the jury are arguing over how the trial should be conducted.

25 Likes

Shorter corporate media:

“Dems Say It’s Raining; GOP Claims Sunny Sky; Meteorological Questions Remain.”

If only there were some objective way to determine today’s weather.

Oh well, I guess we’ll just never know…

14 Likes

We’ll just have to leave it at that.

By the way, fuck you Fat Bill and the Opus Dei you rode in on.

20 Likes

AND the accused gets to prevent all of the witnesses being subpoenaed by the Dems from testifying (not to mention keeping any documents from being released) BUT the accused can require non-relevant people (aka Bidens) to testify at HIS impeachment trial???

7 Likes

I suggest that the Dems start to treat Trump, Moscow McConnell and the rest of the GOP as ignorant, spoiled children.

In short, do, on a much larger scale, what Pelosi is now doing.

6 Likes

Just like his boss, Barr is delusional in the extreme.

9 Likes

I’m sure some of Trumpy’s ideas are to hold it on the Capital Mall, with big screen TVs, if only draw a bigger more beautiful crowd than for his inauguration.
How about setting up two special phone lines like American Idol?

6 Likes

More importantly, the Dems should start to treat all of them like the criminals they so obviously are.

3 Likes

McConnell will prevail, unfortunately. It will be so fast, we’ll blink and miss it.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available