Trump Lawyer Kenneth Chesebro On His Role In The Runup To Jan. 6

The attorney who reportedly suggested that “‘wild’ chaos” would prompt Supreme Court justices to be more likely to intervene in the 2020 election has spoken exclusively with TPM about his representation of the Trump campaign during its efforts to overturn the election.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1419831
3 Likes

Most important take: he was totally wrong.

51 Likes

Chesebro. If all the courts had just seen things his way, Team TFG wouldn’t have had to burn down the Capitol! It’s not his fault. See, it was you bitches that made him do it!
(What a cheese-dick!)

21 Likes

But as a lawyer I have to think, the more debate the better

Isn’t that pretty much a requirement for any lawyer?

8 Likes

The more debate, the more billable hours, the more “legitimacy” of his argument.

16 Likes

Where in any of this discussion, did Chesebro show that there were any problems with the electoral process that necessitated all of this legal pretzelry? That’s the nub of it. This pervasive Republican fantasy that their losses are attributed to widespread voter fraud is just that. Experts examine this question over and over again, and come up dry, save the occasional Republican casting votes of their dead mothers. Without the foundation of his argument – that actual legitimate electoral fraud underpinned his efforts, I’d say Tribe described it perfectly: “Bullshit.”

48 Likes

Lawyers have a duty to uphold the law, and the process of producing fake electors in the hopes of sowing confusion in the electoral process does not do that. The lawyers who pushed these schemes need to be punished by their profession, so it’s made clear to all the rest that outlandish legal theories like this will not be allowed to undermine our system of government.

42 Likes

Shorter Chesebro: "If we increase the violence and chaos, our “friends on SCOTUS” will hand us an election where the voters chose otherwise.

Sounds like extortion to me.

43 Likes

“If there is a non-frivolous argument concerning the meaning of the Electoral Count Act or its constitutionality, it’s legitimate to press that and let the courts decide,”

If is a wee word that doesn’t get you very far. The Electoral College Act has been around for well over a hundred years. If it was unconstitutional, why did no one think of mentioning this before? Pretty frivolous argument at this point.

19 Likes

tl;dr

Traitor. Lock him up and throw away the key.

Sorry @joshkevensky, I really respect your reporting but I couldn’t care less about this traitor’s justification for his traitoring. Giving him a platform doesn’t sit well with me.

19 Likes

Relevant:

28 Likes

Somehow the SIXTY cases thrown out by state courts around the country failed to “address the merits”. Self-delusion is rampant in this guy.

A mob threatening the Supremes so they WOULD overthrow the election is fine and dandy, but protesters outside their homes is trying to convince a justice to change their position is just SO WRONG – once again, a chronic case of projection.

And I vote for yes, he’s been subpoenaed and has/will be testifying before the grand jury AND whenever there are trials. He sure doesn’t want to give up that super-nice Manhattan penthouse! I wonder if he’s signed an immunity deal?

23 Likes

I love it that Chesebro is heavily involved with and an evangelist for Bitcoin. Makes complete sense and helps me understand his mentality, how he sees the world.

39 Likes

She won’t appear. I hope the J6 Committee dirties her up. And while HER criminal case might end up in the Eastern District of Virginia, she won’t find a friendly jury there – just ask Paul Manafort.

19 Likes

I believe that the purpose of an argument is to find the truth. Cheese Bro’ seems to be of a mind that the purpose of an argument is to win.

Therein lies the problem.

30 Likes

First, great interview, Josh, lots to consider.

Next

“There was good reason to argue that under Article II, that Biden had not legitimately won the electoral votes,” Chesebro told TPM.

Does Chesebro think GWB legitimately won the electoral vote in 2000? 2004? Did tfg legitimately win the electoral vote in 2016? Or is it the primary goal of Chesebro and the other repub legal minds to cast doubt on all elections and the very idea of a democratically run nation?

His (their) arguments and complaints seem to be entirely self serving for the fascistgop and in no way based on observable reality.

19 Likes

“The more (billable hours) the better”
ETA
GMTA @Fire_Joni_Ernst

2 Likes

Making
Attorneys
Get
Attorneys

16 Likes

Instead, he focused on a more staid argument: that election measures taken to run the election in Wisconsin during COVID-19 invalidated Biden’s victory.

But, apparently, no one else’s who was running in that same invaild election… This is where he gives up the game.

38 Likes

Should we take anything this guy says as truth? None of this was under oath and I wouldn’t believe anyone associated with TFG as far as I can throw them…

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available