Trump Got Another Extension To File Annual Financial Disclosure | Talking Points Memo

They ran out of crayon AGAIN? Someone needs to take them away from 'Lil Donnie.

the president intends to file as soon as possible

Yeah, and weā€™l get his tax returns as soon as the audit is completeā€¦

4 Likes

But thatā€™s the thing. His complete taxes include all the additional forms and schedules that lay all those out. Anything to do with income, losses, interest, assets and liabilities and such is in them.

4 Likes

Then on Wednesday, a White House official said on that the president had been granted ā€œan additional 45 days, but the president intends to file as soon as possible,ā€ the The New York Times reported.

And ā€œthe check is in the mailā€ too, I bet.

10 Likes

Bingo

Additional extensions will automatically come until 11/4ā€¦

1 Like

According to Newsweek https://www.newsweek.com/where-trump-irs-tax-audit-letter-488904 Trump hasnā€™t provided the IRS letter informing him that heā€™s being audited. All that was provided was a letter from his legal team claiming he was.

That leaves the public having to take the word of Trumpā€™s paid legal advocates. Thereā€™s a more definitive option: The real estate developer could very easily produce documentation from the Internal Revenue Service stating that he is under audit. [ā€¦] The letter from Trumpā€™s tax lawyers, Sheri Dillon and William Nelson, is no substitute. It deals with Trumpā€™s personal returns, but itā€™s also kind of a business return as well. Dillon and Nelson note that he has ā€œsole proprietorshipsā€ in some 500 different entities, making his personal returns ā€œinordinately large and complex.ā€

3 Likes

Ahhhhhhhhā€¦bless his heart. Heā€™s so BUSY along with his team of accountants to get this in after the INITIAL extentionā€¦now the question will be if he cheats and ā€˜is forcedā€™ to go into an endless audit which ISNā€™T HIS FAULT!!!

5 Likes

We have to do that regardless of what Roberts does or doesnā€™t do in this decision.

And if necessary, we have to go into 1600 and evict him.

9 Likes

What? Too busy golfing, hiding out in his bunker while also trying to hold a rallies anywhere theyā€™ll let him? Itā€™s not that complicated. The man procrastinates because heā€™s lazy. He couldā€™ve ordered that shitweasel accountant of his that shouldā€™ve gone to prison years ago to get on with it and submit the thing already.

12 Likes

IRS commissioner knocks down Trumpā€™s ā€˜Iā€™m being auditedā€™ excuse for not releasing tax returns
DailyKos article

Donald Trump has claimed, again and again, that he couldnā€™tā€”or, anyway, wouldnā€™tā€”release his tax returns because he was under audit. But, the IRS commissioner says, an audit isnā€™t a problem for releasing tax returns.

There is ā€no rule that would prohibit the release of a tax return because itā€™s under audit,ā€ IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig told a House Appropriations subcommittee on Tuesday. On Wednesday, as the IRS faced a deadline for turning over Trumpā€™s tax returns to the House Ways and Means Committee following a lawful request for them, Trump repeated himself again. ā€œI would love to give them, but Iā€™m not going to do it while Iā€™m under audit,ā€ Trump said.

But the House Ways and Means Committee isnā€™t asking Trump to provide his tax returns. Itā€™s asking the IRS to, as the law allows. So there shouldnā€™t be a problemā€”unless Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin decides to put loyalty to Trump above the law.

6 Likes

Count me among the pessimistic
Even if they rule against him , I full expect heā€™ll say
No ! I wonā€™t turn them over
What are you going to do about it?
Billy Barr ainā€™t going to enforce it

11 Likes

Exactly. I think Roberts and his four accomplices let Trump off because ā€œreasonsā€. But at 4 months before the election, voting him out is a simpler option.

7 Likes

Reporting them to the IRS is reporting them to the peopleā€™s agency, so limited ā€œprivacy.ā€ Congress, by law, can look at anyoneā€™s taxes. No one is above the law (or so they say).

2 Likes

Trumpā€™s most recent filing contained like fifteen pages of companies on which he serves as an executive. Almost all have names that indicate they were formed just for him, for a particular use. Is this a normal thing for rich folk to do, or is the complicated nature of his finances a direct result of him trying to make things as complicated as possible in order to avoid taxes and thwart investigation into his affairs? Like, if I had a billion dollars would there be benefit to forming a thousand companies and making myself president or CEO of each of them? Would one own my house, one own my lake property, one my jet ski, one my lemonade stand and so on?

7 Likes

8 Likes

There are stable geniuses, and then there is a real stable of them!

6 Likes

Be sure to pack your woollies! DC in January can be pretty cold. And get there early - thereā€™s sure to be a line! Iā€™ll be at the front if youā€™re looking for me.

6 Likes

Maybe heā€™s out looking for his old buddy Joe Shapiro to game this for him tooā€¦

(Wonder how many Joe Shapiros are now deactivating their FB and Twitter accounts and unlisting their phone numbers.)

1 Like

I expect that they are going to issue a dogā€™s breakfast of a decision. Hereā€™s my forecast, based on nothing at all:

1. Roberts writes a 5-4 majority opinion that finds against the House but orders the release to the New York AGā€™s office.
  2. The shitweasel brigade agrees in part and dissents in part, holding that the State of New York has no right to the tax returns, either. There may be two partial dissents from the shitweasels.
  3. Kagan, Sotomayor, Breyer, and Ginsburg dissent in full. Itā€™s a very short dissent, with the TL;DR version being, ā€œYou are fucking kidding me!ā€
8 Likes

Trump ā€˜mightā€™ release returns 'when Iā€™m out of officeā€™
Politifact article

One such argument was that Trumpā€™s financial disclosures more than make up for not releasing his tax returns ā€“ and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin alluded to this in the Economist interview. But as weā€™ve shown before, this is a red herring because tax returns may reveal financial information like charitable giving and income sources not necessarily covered in Trumpā€™s financial disclosure.

Eventually Trumpā€™s refusal came to rest upon the IRS audit, which he even alluded to later in the Economist interview. The IRS, however, has said nothing precludes a president from releasing tax returns while under audit (Nixon did).

But here the president has indicated for the first time that he will not necessarily release his tax returns after the IRS audit. Rather, he reserves the right to keep his tax returns under seal during his time in the White House.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available