Trump Doubles Down On Claim He’s Untouchable | Talking Points Memo

WASHINGTON–If anything was clear from Friday’s appeals court hearing in the accounting firm subpoena case, President Trump is going all in on the argument that Congress has almost no right to investigate or regulate his conduct.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1235117
1 Like

How did this idiot graduate law school much less pass the bar?

29 Likes

Trump wants to be king…I say we treat him the way the French did during their revolution.

85 Likes

Maybe I’m a dreamer but I hope to see the day when not just progressives but the Courts exclaim “Did you bonk your head?” to the Heritage Foundation, Fox Noise, and Federalist Society et al. I resent having their twisted ideas of government and reality foisted upon us.

47 Likes

Remember the good old days when the Republicans complained about Obama and “the imperial presidency”?

We’ll get back to those days the instant a Dem is elected president again.

66 Likes

Radical stuff. Trump’s lawyer argues that a president is immune to congressional oversight. In essence, a president is a king, and can commit any corrupt act he wishes, and Congress is powerless to stop it.

This is pure insanity.

86 Likes

Jebus Tapdancing Christ
Attorney William Consovoy told the court that there is almost no legislation Congress could constitutionally pass to rein in any unethical behavior by the President.
Thusly implying that yes there is unethical behavior, but you can’t do shit

I seriously don’t know how much more I can take

63 Likes

So, Consovoy is really saying that Humpy Trumpy could shoot someone on 5th Ave. and get away with it? Really?

25 Likes

“L’etat c’est moi!”

24 Likes

If Obama…
calvin_headexplode

20 Likes

They are essentially arguing that Congress cannot investigate or conduct any oversight of the president outside of impeachment. So Trump’s argument is basically impeachment first, ask questions later.

40 Likes

Well, if the Epstein files come out, he may be relying on that immunity for a lot more than just some financial records.

39 Likes

I know, right? I notice that I have begun to take what I consider to be “sanity vacations” more frequently now. It’s just more more more of the most outrageous violations of objective reality, settled law, normative behavior and on and on.

31 Likes

It’s time for the Democrats to call Trump’s bluff and start an impeachment inquiry … when everything is fair game.

30 Likes

What about the relevance of information that could be uncovered in informing a possible constitutional amendment resolution? If Consovoy’s argument is that these other kinds of oversight are unconstitutional, wouldn’t this other potential move be, by definition, constitutional?

26 Likes

William Barr: “As Trump’s other lawyer … er, Attorney General … I completely agree.”

23 Likes

And the likes of Bret Baer and Shuck Todd will amplify the ‘outrage’.

3 Likes

How Trump Doubled Down On The Crazy Claim He’s Immune From Oversight

That’s not surprising, what’s depressing is that several Supreme Court Justices either agree with him, or are willing to go along because of partisan reasons.

10 Likes

Think it’s coming…after the summer recess.

7 Likes

Keep an eye on the budget/debt ceiling stuff. Nancy won’t think of moving until they’ve resolved that problem.

The last thing we’d need is Trump throwing a temper tantrum, shutting the government down and throwing us into default to try to derail things.

25 Likes